Head gasket woes

Discuss (and cuss) the Nissan LD-series OHC Six diesel engine, popularly available in the US in 1981-83 Datsun/Nissan Maxima Sedans & Wagons.

Moderators: plenzen, glenlloyd, goglio704, Nissan_Ranger

Tomslide50

Head gasket woes

Post by Tomslide50 »

Where are you guys finding head gaskets? I can't seem to find a single place that still has any. I have this LD torn down. I'm planning to port the head a bit(have you seen the port difference between #3+4 exhaust vs the others?!), make a tubular turbo manifold, boost it, and mod the injection pump. I have access to a dyno and really wanted to see what this engine can do but I'm at a stand still until I procure a 3 notch head gasket.

Anyone?
rlaggren

Post by rlaggren »

Don't know where you're at - maybe put your city into your profile or your sig.

Anyway, if you're in the US, there are a couple-three places that make head gaskets if it comes to that. They like to have the old one for a sample. Last I checked about 5-6 years ago for a boat motor, it was about $125+, though it depends sometimes on whether they have already made one and have the spec's.

I'm assuming you've spent a few hours with Google and then talked with the local shops and suppliers. You can also try these guys. They're supplying industrial rigs (means they build their engines for low power continuous duty) and are in it for the money (! <g>) but they sell the LD28 and ought to know where to get a head gasket if they don't actually sell them.

http://www.jescoweb.com/

Rufus
82 Maxima wagon
JasperG

Post by JasperG »

I got mine from carquest about 1.5 yrs ago. it was old stock judging from the dust on it! they had the intake/exhaust kit too. You can get them made if it comes to that. I also saw these but they arent cheap. Gordo

http://www.speedzoneweb.com/Store/Produ ... ake=NISSAN
Mechiel

Post by Mechiel »

I bought a Victor Reinz (German) set about a year ago and am very happy with the quality. There is a seperate head gasket as well as a full top and bottom gasket and seal kit. Search the internet for a local supplier or order via the internet.