That thing attached to the alternator's rear shaft!

Discuss (and cuss) the Nissan LD-series OHC Six diesel engine, popularly available in the US in 1981-83 Datsun/Nissan Maxima Sedans & Wagons.

Moderators: plenzen, glenlloyd, goglio704, Nissan_Ranger

pushrod1

That thing attached to the alternator's rear shaft!

Post by pushrod1 »

I have an 82 maxima with the ld28. Pulled the alternator today and the yet to be identified piece that bolts onto the rear shaft (impeller with black rectangular inserts). Well the inserts that fit in the slots fell on the ground and 2 of them fragile puppies broke .I was wondering if anyone knows what im refering to?

They seem to be very very light. The part once again is cylindrical and fits on the back of the alternator shaft.

Knowing how difficult some of the parts are I was feeling doomed when 2 black rectangular wafers just kinda shattered.

What are they and where can i get info to replace them. Certainly Nissan hasn't sold those in ions.

Thanks,
Chris
dn29626

Post by dn29626 »

Sounds like you are referring to parts associated with the vacuum pump.
82 King Cab 2wd (nice)
82 Reg Cab (body damage)
Anderson , SC
Since Fall 2009
asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

The vacuum pump rarely fails on its own; most people have problems only when they do what you did. You don't normally take the three screws off that retain the vanes in the housing, but it happens.

Some pics

I used to have several spares. I might still, but they're three hours and $40 of ferry fare away from where I live now, so you'd have to want one real bad to get it from me :(

More pics

Be aware that the various Nissan diesel alternators have used different length rotors in their associated vacuum pumps, so you can't just swap vac pumps from a Sentra diesel to a Maxima diesel. Click below for more info on that.

Best pics and info for you

Regards,
Al S.

1982 Maxima diesel wagon, 2nd & 4th owner, 165k miles, rusty & burgundy/grey. Purchased 1996, SOLD 16Feb10
1983 Maxima diesel wagon, 199k miles, rusty, light yellow/light brown. SOLD 14Jul07
1981 720 SD22 (scrapped 04Sep07)
1983 Sentra CD17, 255k, bought 06Jul08, gave it away 22Jun10.
pushrod1

Post by pushrod1 »

okay,sorry it took so long to reply.As it turns out what I really need is the phenolic slats that fit into the pump (barrel,drum or whatever you call it.)A couple of then were a bit broken and the sealing effect is diminished.The car is an auto trans and it downshifts a little more violently when coming to a stop.Also the cruise control works but the constant speed varies by about 5 mph,rolling up and down between 60 and 65 mph when set at 65 mph.

Nissan dealers dont have a listing for the slats and no pumps are available in the dealer network...I guess ordering a sheet of black phenolic and cutting to size will be my only recourse.Only problem is the thicknesses available are not what i need.These slats are very brittle and when i changed out the alternator,two of them dropped to the ground an partially broke.I reinstalled them but am missing a bit of vaccuum.Its not real bad but it should be exactly correct.

Thanks,Chris in Bonney Lake Wa.USA

Four years of ownership of maxima diesel 4 door.A truely great drive train.