Diesel engine as a conversion

Discuss (and cuss) the Nissan LD-series OHC Six diesel engine, popularly available in the US in 1981-83 Datsun/Nissan Maxima Sedans & Wagons.

Moderators: plenzen, glenlloyd, goglio704, Nissan_Ranger

Dieseljeep

Diesel engine as a conversion

Post by Dieseljeep »

My name is Rob. I am looking at swapping an LD28 into a custom Jeep. I have looked at the common 4x4 engine swaps candidates and they are out of my price range. The car that I have found is real cheap-just filthy and abused.

Here are a couple of questions that I have:

1. Can I use regular L28 Datsun Z transmissions and flywheels etc. behind the LD?

2. How reliable is the 3-speed automatic behind the LD? Any ideas of using it in a 4x4 application?

3. How and where do I find an OEM turbo for this engine?

Thank you for your time, I do appreciate it.

ROB
asavage
Site Admin

Re: Diesel engine as a conversion

Post by asavage »

Hello, Rob, and Welcome to our Sandbox!
Dieseljeep wrote:Can I use regular L28 Datsun Z transmissions and flywheels etc. behind the LD?
The Z FS5W71B should bolt up to the LD28 block. I don't know of anyone who has done it, but it looks like it should present no problem.

However, the LD28 flywheel and the shield ahead of it, are unique to the diesel, so you'll need to get those from a donor. They are available, you just have to look a bit.
How reliable is the 3-speed automatic behind the LD? Any ideas of using it in a 4x4 application?
Both the 1981 3N71B (non lockup) and L3N71B (lockup torque converter) are very durable in the OEM application. In fact, it's rare that one breaks. There is a fellow here (diesel-man) that says the later L4N71B (1983 only for the diesel, several other years and models in non-diesel format, has overdrive) is somewhat weaker.

The big question for 4WD operation is: are you planning on using a divorced transfer case? I don't know how you'd do it otherwise. I'm not a 4X4 guy, but I've been under hundreds of Cherokees & Wagoneers and ISTR that they're all married designs. Adding another driveshaft between the already-longish L3N71B behind a quite long LD28 is going to put your transfer case a looooong ways back in your Jeep.

I think that's the reason why the usual LD28 transplant is to use a bellhousing adapter to the Jeep's transmission.
3. How and where do I find an OEM turbo for this engine?
Good Q, and one I don't have a good answer for.

There's a rumour that the LD28 was sold with an OEM turbo, but it certainly didn't make it to the US, and if available elsewhere I haven't heard of it.

The Four version of the LD28, the LD20 (or perhaps the belt-drive-camshaft version, the LD20II) was availalble as Turbo: LD20T. The turbo for that is an overseas-sourced only unit, and would not be properly sized for the LD28.

The 280ZX Turbo exhaust manifold + either 280ZX turbo or 300ZX turbo is reputedly nearly a bolt-on. One problem is that you can't easily add more fuel to go with the increased air you add via the turbo, so the usefulness of adding a turbo is still an open Q. One member (dsl-smoke) did it, twelve years ago. I'm planning on doing it too, but my goals don't include more power, nor am I going to add more fuel, and my expectations are low. See this thread for more information -- and pictures! -- on turbocharging the LD28.
Regards,
Al S.

1982 Maxima diesel wagon, 2nd & 4th owner, 165k miles, rusty & burgundy/grey. Purchased 1996, SOLD 16Feb10
1983 Maxima diesel wagon, 199k miles, rusty, light yellow/light brown. SOLD 14Jul07
1981 720 SD22 (scrapped 04Sep07)
1983 Sentra CD17, 255k, bought 06Jul08, gave it away 22Jun10.
Dieseljeep

Post by Dieseljeep »

It is definately going to be divorced. I am actually looking at a lighter weight Willys Wagon which is essentially the same WB as a Wagoneer.

My current Jeep is a Willys Wagon on a wagoneer frame with 38" tires etc. I am afraid that I won't drive it much due to costs etc.

The sad part is that I have not even finished it yet!

I'm thinking about Nissan engine, trans. Then either a divorced Yota case or a Nissan case. If I go with a divorced Yota case I have to buy an adaptor but it has other good traits.

The goals for the project are at a minimum:

36-37" tires
20MPG minimum
Able to DD if I have to.

Most people like me run the Cummins 4bt. But that is out of my league right now. The SD33 is awfully heavy and overkill for me.

I could run the automatic, I like them. I was just trying to get the best MPG out of it.

I live so far from anywhere that I can't do the 10MPG thing much anymore.

Sounds like I have some more reading to do.

Anyone know how this engine works out in a LandRover? I was wondering what they could get for MPG?

Thank you, ROB
exmod110

Post by exmod110 »

I have an ld28 in my landrover 110, fits nice and is lighter then the lr 4cyl diesel to boot! I have had an adapter between the motor and engine coppied from a conversion kit made the uk, made my own mounts electric fan, modified the oem down pipe to clear the firewall, minor wiring as it was orig a diesel... as far as conversions go it was easy..... not sure how it would go into a jeep thoe, just plan thing out well in advance..... clearances wiring fuel oil pan ect....
If you don't go through with it post the motor or hole car here for the group to save from the wreckers/crank pirates
cheers
Don
Dieseljeep

Post by Dieseljeep »

My last post did not make it to the board?

Anyways, I am thinking that I would like to meet the following criteria:

1. Enough power to push 36-37" tires
2. Get 20MPG
3. Be dead reliable or close to it

What kind of mileage does your rover get?
Dieseljeep

Post by Dieseljeep »

Oh one more thing. It will be kind of a one off rig like the last one(Willys) so clearances etc. should be good because I am cooking it from scratch.

I am likely going to run Toyota axles and either a divorced toyota or Nissan case. You have to buy the kit to divorce the Yota though.

Sounds like I need to go look at the car. It is one of those grungy, been sitting around for years type of cars but it does run and drive they tell me.

Thank you, ROB
asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

Rob, if you add things to your Profile (at least your geographic location), you may find folks in your area that can help. Just click on the "Profile" button at the top of any page on this site.
Dieseljeep wrote:My last post did not make it to the board?
Apparently not. Annoying, isn't it?
Anyways, I am thinking that I would like to meet the following criteria:

1. Enough power to push 36-37" tires
Gearing is all that will require.
2. Get 20MPG
3. Be dead reliable or close to it
I would think those could could reasonably be expected. You have 80 HP to work with in stock format.
Regards,
Al S.

1982 Maxima diesel wagon, 2nd & 4th owner, 165k miles, rusty & burgundy/grey. Purchased 1996, SOLD 16Feb10
1983 Maxima diesel wagon, 199k miles, rusty, light yellow/light brown. SOLD 14Jul07
exmod110

Post by exmod110 »

I get aprox 25-30 mpg Imperial gal....with only aprox 80 horse and 120 flbs of torque it is better then the stock motor but no power house in a 5000lb truck... my rover is stock with 3.5 gears and 31x8 tires with a 1.6 ratio transfer box and will do over 130kph on the flat with no wind but it is more suited to stay around 105 or so... a turbo would be real nice, you can get a kit to turbo and intercool this motor from the uk but is expensive and been told that it isnt a real well engineared kit. A friend is putting one in his 110 and reduilt the manifold that came with it. Havent seen it yet he hasn't finnished all the work to it yet to bring it out of his shop. I realy want to see it done!!! too bad ie is in bc and im in manitoba.....
Later
Don
asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

exmod110 wrote:I get aprox 25-30 mpg Imperial gal
If I did the math correctly, that's about 21-25 MPG US.
. . . you can get a kit to turbo and intercool this motor from the uk but is expensive and been told that it isnt a real well engineared kit.
Don, can you provide any more information about this kit? If so, please add it to the ongoing LD28 Turbo thread.
Regards,
Al S.

Dieseljeep

Post by Dieseljeep »

That is encouraging. With the larger tires I am not interested in going much over 60mph anyways.

Ideally I would weigh in at around 4k. That is the goal at least.

Good thoughts for a Monday, ROB
Dieseljeep

Post by Dieseljeep »

One more quick question.

What are the HP and torque numbers and at what RPM?

What is the ideal cruising RPM for peak efficiency and redline of this engine?

Thank you, ROB
asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

Dieseljeep wrote:What are the HP and torque numbers and at what RPM
In automotive trim, 80 HP is the number Nissan advertised. I have not seen a torque figure for the automotive version of the engine. You can guess by using this chart for the industrial version.
Regards,
Al S.

Dieseljeep

Post by Dieseljeep »

Thank you. I appreciate your time, ROB