LD20 II turbo; parts availability?

Discuss (and cuss) the Nissan LD-series OHC Six diesel engine, popularly available in the US in 1981-83 Datsun/Nissan Maxima Sedans & Wagons.

Moderators: plenzen, glenlloyd, goglio704, Nissan_Ranger

jon510

LD20 II turbo; parts availability?

Post by jon510 »

Hi,

I'm a longtime Datsun 510 owner and I'm looking to potentially build a diesel 510 wagon. I have considered a few of the engines (namely SD series) that were available in North America but would prefer to go with the LD20 turbo. It sounds, from my reading, like the series II is better built and more readily available than the I. Also, it should mate up to the transmissions we commonly use in the 510, and I would prefer to have a turbo diesel engine if possible.

I have found a source for an engine in Malaysia, but I'm a little hesitant to jump in and order it until I know a little bit more about the support/parts available for these. I can find very little online as far as maintenance parts, and I'm not sure Nissan Canada would be able to help me much in sourcing pieces (I'm going to call them tomorrow).

My question is, are there parts still available for these engines, and are they readily available through online sources? I'm happy to have something a bit exotic and am willing to expect delays in getting parts, but I don't want to install something that can't be maintained and would consider an SD or some other alternative if this is likely to be the case. Given I can find rebuilt versions of the engine on ebay I assume the parts must be out there, but I'd like to know how easy they are to obtain and where I can get them. Not to mention just keeping up a supply of regularly needed pieces for routine maintenance (filters, etc)....

Thanks for any input on this, or if you have a better suggestion for a (turbo)-diesel engine donor.

Jon
1969 Datsun 510 2dr Z20ET
1983 Landcruiser BJ60 diesel WVO conversion
2011 VW golf TDI wagon
Arnold90

Re: LD20 II turbo; parts availability?

Post by Arnold90 »

I'm not sure if this would help (by now), but...

Yes there are still parts available for that, but I believe they're a tad rare nowadays. Best bet would be going online but that would be pricey. Have you checked some on Craigslist or ebay? Or other specific shops like partsgeek? They're a bit pricier than autopartswarehouse, but they still cover what you need (most of the time).
I hooked up my accelerator pedal in my car to my brake lights. I hit the gas, people behind me stop, and I'm gone. - Steven Wright