WHERE IS THE FUEL PUMP

Discuss (and cuss) the Nissan LD-series OHC Six diesel engine, popularly available in the US in 1981-83 Datsun/Nissan Maxima Sedans & Wagons.

Moderators: plenzen, glenlloyd, goglio704, Nissan_Ranger

trevorccook

WHERE IS THE FUEL PUMP

Post by trevorccook »

Man I'm strugglin. Is the fuel pump built into the fuel filter or what? I checked the tank and traced the lines. It won't prime when cold and I heard that that's typically the injector pump. Then my dumbass bled the fuel lines. I'm new to diesels and I have an 81 maxima diesel. The part I bought looks nothing like whats in the vehicle… Any help or pictures would be greatly appreciated.
plenzen

Re: WHERE IS THE FUEL PUMP

Post by plenzen »

The fuel pump is attached to the engine. What lines did you bleed ? What part did you buy ?
Retired Pauly
Problem with being retired is that you never get a day off.
1987 D21-J SD25 KC
KJLGD21FN
Duaneclark

Post by Duaneclark »

The injection pump itself does the pumping the fuel from the tank. You might want to view many previous articles on this in the forum. There are factory shop manuals on E-Bay right now if this would help.
Duane
diesel-man
Deceased

Post by diesel-man »

To build onto what Duane said:
The most likely place for an air leak is the fuel filter housing (hand pump on top). Over the last 25 years it is probably there, that is....if you have already tightened the rubber fuel lines. Check fuel lines on top of tank as well. (from inside trunk)

Take the bleeder fitting out (on the filter housing) and pump until you have fuel, if you can't get it to come up, put your finger over the hole when you let your hand off of the pump (creates suction). I had a car that had debris in the filter housing where it could not be seen, up against the check valve. After you get fuel to the housing, install bleeder screw.... Don't be afraid to pump the hand pump 50 times if you have to.

Email if you still have trouble.