Swapping LD28 into a Petrol L28 Nissan Patrol MQ 1984

Discuss (and cuss) the Nissan LD-series OHC Six diesel engine, popularly available in the US in 1981-83 Datsun/Nissan Maxima Sedans & Wagons.

Moderators: plenzen, glenlloyd, goglio704, Nissan_Ranger

Rebel32L

Swapping LD28 into a Petrol L28 Nissan Patrol MQ 1984

Post by Rebel32L »

I am considering putting a LD28 into my Nissan Patrol, which currently have a carburetor L28 petrol engine. As far as I know both engines use the same mounts, same drivetrain (4 speed) g/box and differentials). What I probably need to think of is if the same fuel supply lines and gas tank can be used. I have no experience of converting to a diesel setup and what will be required, but I do know the petrol engine setup well, as well as have general mechanical knowledge of the Datsun cars. I can get a complete LD28 imported from Japan, for not much money, and the friends with the local Nissan technicians who are very skilled working on the older Datsuns. I always liked the diesel. My dad had a Nissan Cedric 2.8 diesel, mated to a auto box. Loved that car...

Can someone on this forum give me some pointers to think of when considering this type of conversion? Thanks
Duaneclark

Re: Swapping LD28 into a Petrol L28 Nissan Patrol MQ 1984

Post by Duaneclark »

I recommend reading "LD28 into Astrovan" in the Users rigs section of our forum. Details installing the LD28 into a former gasoline vehicle. You'll need diesel fuel filters and water separator and complete glow plug activating device, there's a universal set-up on E-Bay. I think different motor mounts also from the gas engine. By the way, do you mind mentioning the cost of the imported engine? Just curious. Duane
Duane