Help with 1982 maxima oil leak

Discuss (and cuss) the Nissan LD-series OHC Six diesel engine, popularly available in the US in 1981-83 Datsun/Nissan Maxima Sedans & Wagons.

Moderators: plenzen, glenlloyd, goglio704, Nissan_Ranger

Softaildeluxe05

Help with 1982 maxima oil leak

Post by Softaildeluxe05 »

What's going on, I have an 82 maxima sedan with the 5 speed with 140k miles, engine and Trans are both original. I've had the car for about a year and a half and I drove it very regularly until 2 months ago it started leaking oil alot... it only leaks while it is running and when it does it is a steady drip. I don't know if it matters or not but the guy I bought it from bought the car in 1986, put 1000 miles on it that same year, then never drove it again til I bought it in 2015. I don't know ow if gaskets or seals could be dry rotted or what... but all that said it is leaking from the side of the block I have pictured somewhere in the red circle. It's below the valve cover and above the oil pan. I have no idea what is under and behind all that crap that could leak. I would appreciate very much some help and direction thanks alot!
Attachments
Screenshot_20160607-095810.png
Screenshot_20160607-095810.png (2.43 MiB) Viewed 4855 times
plenzen

Re: Help with 1982 maxima oil leak

Post by plenzen »

Welcome to the forum

Usually look for the furthest forward highest point on the engine that has oil on it. That will narrow your search a lot.

Looking at the picture, I would check the oil filter to see that its in fact tight enough. A word of caution though, oil filters are not to be tightened too much. Typically they are spun on until the rubber gasket makes contact with it's sealing surface and then 1/2 to 3/4 of a turn further by hand and that's it.
DO NOT TIGHTEN IT WITH A OIL FILTER WRENCH. you wont get it off later.

The other place I would look at is where the oil filter adapter fits to the engine itself. There will be a gasket behind it and it may have dried out and cracked or failed. Check the bolts that fasten it to the block.
The thing above the oil filter appears to be an oil cooler ( although I am not certain ). It has a coolant line attached to it, but it too bolts to the block just above the oil filter housing. Check in that area as well.

Good luck and let us know how you make out.

P
Retired Pauly
Problem with being retired is that you never get a day off.
1987 D21-J SD25 KC
KJLGD21FN
Softaildeluxe05

Thanks plenzen for the feedback, I'll check those things out this weekend. Thanks for the welcome too byoung the way. I hope it's that simple and easy to find
Softaildeluxe05

Update: I found where it is leaking from but I have no idea what it is... on the side of the block there is a yellow wire coming out of a wire cluster, and that yellow wire has something on the end of it that plugs into the block. Im guessing it's some kind of sensor for something oil related? Any information would help, thanks alot and I hope people respond to help soon
plenzen

Post by plenzen »

Can you take a picture of it ?
Retired Pauly
Problem with being retired is that you never get a day off.
1987 D21-J SD25 KC
KJLGD21FN
Softaildeluxe05

Update on this, it turned out to just be the oil pressure censor, it was easily replaced for like 12 bucks. Thank you for the responses and the help!