Help needed, no dash lights and no taillights 82 maxima

Discuss (and cuss) the Nissan LD-series OHC Six diesel engine, popularly available in the US in 1981-83 Datsun/Nissan Maxima Sedans & Wagons.

Moderators: plenzen, glenlloyd, goglio704, Nissan_Ranger

Softaildeluxe05

Help needed, no dash lights and no taillights 82 maxima

Post by Softaildeluxe05 »

How's it going everyone, as the title states I am having some issues... I got pulled over last night for having no taillights, I had no idea they were not working. And my dash lights also have gone out (when I say dash lights I mean the speedometer, fuel, volt, and engine temp gauges), the warning center lights all work as do the blinker indicators and glow plug lights and brake fluid light and all that stuff. Anyway all the bulbs in the rear work fine because the reverse lights work, as do the the blinkers and my brake lights... none of those bulbs were blown. So I checked the fuses and all of the fuses are good. So I also checked the fusable links and all those were good. I was wondering if these two issues could be related and if anybody could point me in the direction of where to go from here I'm at a stand still. Any help is so much appreciated, thanks in advance and God bless you!
plenzen

Re: Help needed, no dash lights and no taillights 82 maxima

Post by plenzen »

Try this
Turn your headlights on and use a test light across both sides of the tail light fuse as its plugged into the box.
If there is no power there then I suspect the headlight switch may have died or there is a loose plug or connection on/in it. The "headlamps" are only 1 part of what it switches.
Try putting it on and wiggling the connector.
Let us know what you find.

If you get power at the fuse and no tail lights or dash lights then maybe check some of the relays.
That's all I got.
Retired Pauly
Problem with being retired is that you never get a day off.
1987 D21-J SD25 KC
KJLGD21FN
Softaildeluxe05

Re: Help needed, no dash lights and no taillights 82 maxima

Post by Softaildeluxe05 »

Thanks for the reply and suggestion! I called the dude I bought it from, who is a datsun wizard and he told me to check the connection for the switch in the steering column right behind the steering wheel. I did and that was it, it became loose and doesn't really stay plugged in very tight... so I wrapped the male end with a couple layers of electrical tape to make it thicker and it fits very snug with no more wiggle! I hope this can help someone someday