LD-20-II going turbo or replaced

Discuss (and cuss) the Nissan LD-series OHC Six diesel engine, popularly available in the US in 1981-83 Datsun/Nissan Maxima Sedans & Wagons.

Moderators: plenzen, glenlloyd, goglio704, Nissan_Ranger

Bacdava

LD-20-II going turbo or replaced

Post by Bacdava »

Hello all.
I have an old ARO M461 fitted with a LD20II engine so the thing is a little underpowered. I'm thinking about fitting a turbo or maybe replace the engine with a bigger one in the series.
Enough being said, i have the following questions:
1. Is there a diffrence between ld20 and ld20t (except the turbine)? Are the internals (pistons, different camshaft, timing, injection pump, etc.) the same in both 20 and 20t?

2. What would be the suitable turbine dimension for the thing.

3. What turbo manifold preasure would be safe for the engine (I just want a litthe bit extra juice but keeping the engine in good working order for a long time is esential)

4. What advice do you have for me on this conversion?

5. Is there a bigger TD engine that might fit bolt-on on my transmision (that is already adapted for the LD20II) ?

Thank you all in advance for your kind sugestions.

PS. I read all other topics on the subject but still have blank spots on the subject
asavage
Site Admin

Re: LD-20-II going turbo or replaced

Post by asavage »

We USA-based readers have almost no experience with either the LD20II or the LD20T, but members in other parts of the world can chime in.

The LD20II is not the same engine as the LD20 (or LD20T), they are different engines. Nissan has a lot of different diesel engines with few interchangeable parts.

Going by experience with other diesel engines, when the mfgr adds a turbo there are always other modifications. Sometimes that's only oil squirter nozzles for cooling the bottoms of the pistons, sometimes it's lower compression for the turbo version (which can sometimes be achieved in conversions by using a custom head gasket to reduce the compression, but requires special offset camshaft key etc. to correct the OHC's timing), and almost always you need to find a way to get the IP to supply more fuel during boost, and that might mean replacing the injectors as well.

I know nothing of the bolt-up capability of the TD line; again, I hope someone else with experience can help here.
Regards,
Al S.

1982 Maxima diesel wagon, 2nd & 4th owner, 165k miles, rusty & burgundy/grey. Purchased 1996, SOLD 16Feb10
1983 Maxima diesel wagon, 199k miles, rusty, light yellow/light brown. SOLD 14Jul07
1981 720 SD22 (scrapped 04Sep07)
1983 Sentra CD17, 255k, bought 06Jul08, gave it away 22Jun10.