LD28 (Hitachi) starter solenoid

Discuss (and cuss) the Nissan LD-series OHC Six diesel engine, popularly available in the US in 1981-83 Datsun/Nissan Maxima Sedans & Wagons.

Moderators: plenzen, glenlloyd, goglio704, Nissan_Ranger

asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

The results of your testing are normal, as far as they go . . .

There should be no continuity between the armature's shaft and the commutator (the copper segments upon which the brushes ride).

There should be very close to zero ohms continuity between each segment and any/every other segment in the commutator.

However, you cannot test for shorts between commutator segments using an ohmmeter. This requires a "growler", a specialized piece of equipment that induces a magnetic field in the armature for testing purposes. Very common fifty years ago, they are all but extinct now. Note the hacksaw blade in the pic below: this truly is how this test is performed.

Personally, I haven't used one in years. If I need to have an armature checked, I have my local guy use his growler.

Regards,
Al S.

1982 Maxima diesel wagon, 2nd & 4th owner, 165k miles, rusty & burgundy/grey. Purchased 1996, SOLD 16Feb10
1983 Maxima diesel wagon, 199k miles, rusty, light yellow/light brown. SOLD 14Jul07
1981 720 SD22 (scrapped 04Sep07)
1983 Sentra CD17, 255k, bought 06Jul08, gave it away 22Jun10.
niseamer

Re: LD28 (Hitachi) starter solenoid

Post by niseamer »

asavage wrote:Following Carimbo's Sedan's starter failure, I found that only two of the four LD28 starters I own actually work. The other two have bad solenoids and do not pass current to the starter motor, though both "clunk" and move the bendix.

One starter is from an '81 in a JY last year, and is labled as a factory reman:.......

There is quite a bit of wear showing on that left contact, quite a "step".

Thanks so much for this...I have a hitachi from my boat but perhaps should have just kept the starter from my 25SD...looks exactly like it and the solenoid is shot - couldn't find a part number for just the solenoid.
Cheers
Gerry