Glow plug relay wire

General information about the first-generation Nissan Maxima in the US. What was the Datsun 810 became the luxury leader Maxima in the US in 1981.

Moderators: plenzen, glenlloyd, goglio704, Nissan_Ranger

Duaneclark

Glow plug relay wire

Post by Duaneclark »

Haven't been here for a while, but recently had the main glow plug relay fail to operate. The wire with a fusible link going from battery positive to relay failed. I tried a new wire with inline fuse, maybe 30-40 amps, and the fuse blew instantly. I went with a whole wire (no fuse) and it all works fine again. I was wondering what the fusible link was rated at, don't see that anywhere in the FSM. Also installed some NOS exhaust hanger rubber rings, they're so old that they don;t always hold up, is there a modern replacement? Thanks
Duane
asavage
Site Admin

Re: Glow plug relay wire

Post by asavage »

Ballpark numbers: cold/ambient GP will draw ~30A inrush current, tapering to around 15A when it comes up to temperature in a few seconds. So a standard fuse doesn't work well in this application, because you'd have to size it for the inrush (6 x 30A = 180A) and that exceeds the continuous current rating of the GP wiring, which is what the fusible link is protecting.

My Nissan manuals are in storage at the moment, 10 miles west, but if you want to source a generic fusible link for that circuit -- FLAPS used to carry generic fusible links but I haven't had to buy one in about 15 years, so I'm not sure what is available over the counter now -- I would try out one in the 75A range. And I'm not real confident in that guess. I would hope the FSM has a spec for the fusible links, but I would not be surprised if it doesn't . . . I don't see specs in another Nissan manual of that vintage.

Fusible links rarely fail unless you have an actual circuit fault -- usually wiring shorts, not component failure.

You certainly do not want to leave a plain wire in place of the fusible link. As I said, fusible links don't get weak and decide to burn, they have a reason.
Regards,
Al S.

1982 Maxima diesel wagon, 2nd & 4th owner, 165k miles, rusty & burgundy/grey. Purchased 1996, SOLD 16Feb10
1983 Maxima diesel wagon, 199k miles, rusty, light yellow/light brown. SOLD 14Jul07
1981 720 SD22 (scrapped 04Sep07)
1983 Sentra CD17, 255k, bought 06Jul08, gave it away 22Jun10.
asavage
Site Admin

Re: Glow plug relay wire

Post by asavage »

That said, the fusible link and GP system connectors are hot spots for failure on the Maxima. I once bought an '83 Sedan for next to nothing because it was diagnosed by a local repair facility to be "worn out" and hard to start, with lots of smoke.

I smiled, handed them cash, got the title & key, and that night I went and bypassed the GP system harness connector, and it promptly started and I drove it home. Sold it to a friend, whose now-ex-wife went on to drive it for several years. We only replaced the IP belt and tensioner in all that time. I think it's still parked in the fellow's yard, should someone want it . . . Marrowstone Island, Washington.

[later]
Here's the story: viewtopic.php?t=1507
Regards,
Al S.

1982 Maxima diesel wagon, 2nd & 4th owner, 165k miles, rusty & burgundy/grey. Purchased 1996, SOLD 16Feb10
1983 Maxima diesel wagon, 199k miles, rusty, light yellow/light brown. SOLD 14Jul07
1981 720 SD22 (scrapped 04Sep07)
1983 Sentra CD17, 255k, bought 06Jul08, gave it away 22Jun10.