5spd and automatic driveshaft differences

General information about the first-generation Nissan Maxima in the US. What was the Datsun 810 became the luxury leader Maxima in the US in 1981.

Moderators: plenzen, glenlloyd, goglio704, Nissan_Ranger

VR4Rob

5spd and automatic driveshaft differences

Post by VR4Rob »

Hello all,

I searched a few different forums to try and find out if there were any differences between the 5spd and auto trans driveshafts. After a good bit of searching, I found no conclusive evidence. Unfortunately they are slightly different. I made a trip to the junkyard yesterday in hopes of finding a good driveshaft to replace my current one. I found a good 5spd driveshaft but unfortunately it doesn't fit.

Auto driveshaft is on top and the 5spd is on the bottom.

As you can see, the front section is slightly longer. I'm 99% sure the rear sections are the same though, so if you have a busted U-joint in the rear section, you should be able to swap it to your good front section. It also appears that the yolks are different. I think the auto trans output shaft has a slightly larger diameter than the 5spd.

Unfortunately for me, my front U-Joint is the busted one. Does anyone have a good auto driveshaft that they would want to trade for this 5spd one?
1984 Maxima auto 338K and still kickin
2004 Silverado SS AWD
1994 3000GT VR-4
HowlerMonkey

Post by HowlerMonkey »

There are also two yoke thicknesses for automatics.

I've got a bunch but all have the bad front u-joint so I put in a 5 speed because I had a good 5 speed driveshaft.
HowlerMonkey

Post by HowlerMonkey »

I posted this on another forum but it looks like some automatic driveshafts will fit but be slightly short.......however the one on top looks like the thicker one mentioned below that I took out of my 4n71b 1984 maxima.

I measured all of my driveshafts.

All measurements are on the front section of the driveshaft.

The yoke outside diameter on the manual tranny is 35mm or 1.378 inches.

This is the same outside diameter as one I pulled from an auto tranny 4n71b maxima at the junkyard, a 280zx turbo, and the manual maxima tranny but this auto driveshaft was just over an inch shorter........but not unusable as it had enough length to engage the tailshaft bushing at least a little since I used it for about 10k miles behind a turbocharged l24e.

I couldn't get an accurate measurement of the tranny output shaft OD on the manual but it is a bit less than the 27mm I found on both my 3n71b from a 280zx turbo and the 4n71b I that came with my maxima........The caveat is that the 4n71b that was in there required a yoke outside diameter of 38mm and had a 27mm output shaft so it is possible some maximas with 4n71b either came with these dimensions or had been replaced at some point with a 4n71b from a different application like a 300zx turbo or possibly a mitsubishi.

I suspect this because the front u-joint had been replaced with a replacable one (that I could not find anywhere) .......so it is possible a tranny shop had the front section fitted with the larger yoke to fit the replacement tranny since my car had 225,000 miles when I got it.

The length of the front section of the slightly short shaft that still worked was 16 inches from the collar that overlaps the snout to the face of the flange that you mount the rear section of the driveshaft to while the proper length for my 1984 with a manual tranny is 17 1/2 or possibly up to 18.....but it is at least an inch longer.

I did find a u-joint for a PTO (power take off) at a forklift shop that was close but the caps could slide right in by hand rather than by force and the inside clips were of the wrong dimension so......measured cup depth on both sides and welded the cups to the shaft with 4 pretty hot spot welds per cup and used a wet rag to keep conduction from bringing the heat to the grease inside.

I don't recommend this as the joint was only rated for like 20hp but it did live behind a l24e turbo for about 15,000 miles before the tranny gave way and upon inspection, some of the spot welds had cracked loose from the cup but luckily stayed on the driveshaft so centrifugal force did not throw one out.......which would have been harsh at over 100mph.
HowlerMonkey

Post by HowlerMonkey »

I got a S13 driveshaft for my M30 and found that the rear half of the driveshaft was exactly the same length (but thicker) with the same flange that mounts up to the front section (which is not the right length for maxima).

The flange that mounts to the diff flange is the larger z31 style, though.
kassim503

Post by kassim503 »

I think the z31 sports the r200 diff so im guessing it can be converted if change flanges

Dosent the silvia have the sr20deT?
'83 maxima sedan, l24e, a/t, black

227K SOLD 6/7/2012
HowlerMonkey

Post by HowlerMonkey »

I've changed flanges on the driveshaft from maxima to M30 infiniti to S13 240sx willy nilly but I will see if try to see if the multitude of R200 flanges I have will fit the R180 today.

I do have a R180 3.7 with c/v axles that I might not need.
HowlerMonkey

Post by HowlerMonkey »

ok......R200 bolts in pretty easily.

You need the s12 200sx turbo or VG30 r200 rear diff mount (and that damn shim I lost), 280zx axles (cv type are best), and the proper R200 flavor input flange.

The 200sx pinion flange has the exact same bolt circle as the one for the r180 found in the maxima and has a different pinion shaft diameter so they are not interchangable from r200 to r180.

so......r200 longnose + 280zx axles + input flange from 200sx turbo + 200sx turbo diff mount.....is what is needed to make this work.

Notice the super secret stealth exhaust exit with velocity enhancing super small diameter.