Newbie - LD28 / Maxima Questions

General information about the first-generation Nissan Maxima in the US. What was the Datsun 810 became the luxury leader Maxima in the US in 1981.

Moderators: plenzen, glenlloyd, goglio704, Nissan_Ranger

DieselBuddy

Newbie - LD28 / Maxima Questions

Post by DieselBuddy »

Many Questions: 1982 diesel maxima wagon ( 11/81 )

Does anybody make a Timing CHAIN replacement for the timing belt drive for the Injection Pump ?

Any suggestions for fixing / solving the - Interior Fan sometimes works, only in position 4. How to get to the circuit board ? How to remove the monster from the dash ?

Front Turn Signals and Horn do not work - it is not the fuses, it is not the bulbs, it is not the first connector the bulb socket plugs into - any suggestions ?

EXPLANATION: bulbs are o.K., Sockets are ok, first connector ( socket plugs into it ) are ok - BUT Left one gets only 5 volts, Right one no volts.

I put dielectric grease on the connectors, no help.

Flash indicators on the dash work, rear flashers blink fast.

My question: where is the upstream connector in the wiring loom for the front turn signals ? ditto for the horn

I hear the relay clicking but the front lights do not light up.

NO FSM, No Owners Manual, nothing - would like to know what warnings on the center portion of the dash mean.
Last edited by DieselBuddy 14 years ago, edited 3 times in total.
asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

We'll need to know which YEAR your Maxima is; the electrical systems do vary between the three years. Best to edit your Profile and add that info to your Signature, so nobody asks again.

Also, is it a Sedan, or Wagon?

Do you have a FSM yet?

I've not heard of a chain replacement for the IP belt.

The turn sig/horn problem will probably be diagnosed at the MF Switch at the column. I can give more help once I know the info I asked above.
Regards,
Al S.

1982 Maxima diesel wagon, 2nd & 4th owner, 165k miles, rusty & burgundy/grey. Purchased 1996, SOLD 16Feb10
1983 Maxima diesel wagon, 199k miles, rusty, light yellow/light brown. SOLD 14Jul07
1981 720 SD22 (scrapped 04Sep07)
1983 Sentra CD17, 255k, bought 06Jul08, gave it away 22Jun10.
asavage
Site Admin

Re: Newbie - LD28 / Maxima Questions

Post by asavage »

DieselBuddy wrote:Front Turn Signals and Horn do not work - not the fuses, not the bulbs, not the first connector the bulb socket plugs into - any suggestions ?
I've perused the turn signal diagnosis and schematic sections of the 1983 FSM, and this is not a simple system.

First Q: do the Hazard lights work.

2nd: Do you hear clicking of the flasher relay (but no light at bulbs)?

3rd: When you move the TS lever, does either the dash light arrow indicator, or the turn sig bulbs light (but do not flash)?

This system uses a separate time control module to activate the flasher relay, so you do not diagnose this system as you would a "normal" car.

Lastly, the Horn & TS use the same multiconnector. Based on what your answers are above, I'd be looking hard at that connector, esp. if the Hazard lights work, and doubly if someone has had that area apart recently.

[My money is on the Hazard switch being bad, esp. if the car has sat for a while.]

Spares are available :)
Regards,
Al S.

1982 Maxima diesel wagon, 2nd & 4th owner, 165k miles, rusty & burgundy/grey. Purchased 1996, SOLD 16Feb10
1983 Maxima diesel wagon, 199k miles, rusty, light yellow/light brown. SOLD 14Jul07
1981 720 SD22 (scrapped 04Sep07)
1983 Sentra CD17, 255k, bought 06Jul08, gave it away 22Jun10.
nandiesel

Post by nandiesel »

asavage wrote:
DieselBuddy wrote:Front Turn Signals and Horn do not work - not the fuses, not the bulbs, not the first connector the bulb socket plugs into - any suggestions ?
I've perused the turn signal diagnosis and schematic sections of the 1983 FSM, and this is not a simple system.

First Q: do the Hazard lights work.

2nd: Do you hear clicking of the flasher relay (but no light at bulbs)?

3rd: When you move the TS lever, does either the dash light arrow indicator, or the turn sig bulbs light (but do not flash)?

This system uses a separate time control module to activate the flasher relay, so you do not diagnose this system as you would a "normal" car.

Lastly, the Horn & TS use the same multiconnector. Based on what your answers are above, I'd be looking hard at that connector, esp. if the Hazard lights work, and doubly if someone has had that area apart recently.

[My money is on the Hazard switch being bad, esp. if the car has sat for a while.]

Spares are available :)[/]
Where can I buy a head gasket set for 1983 Nissan Maxima LD28 DIESEL?
Nissan_Ranger

Post by Nissan_Ranger »

I hope you realize this is a three year old thread.
The old 'six gun' was as popular as the cell phone in its time and just as annoying when it went off in the Theater.