Slight Overheating Maybe?

General information about the first-generation Nissan Maxima in the US. What was the Datsun 810 became the luxury leader Maxima in the US in 1981.

Moderators: plenzen, glenlloyd, goglio704, Nissan_Ranger

Dairy

Slight Overheating Maybe?

Post by Dairy »

I have a 82 maxima with the diesel and its a auto. I am not sure if it is overheating exactly or not. I had to replace the tempature sensor and it had a diffrent end on it so i had to change the end on the wire. It seemed to run good and stay at a little over a half for the most part. In town it would never go any higher. When I get on the highway it will sometimes climb to 3/4 or more but it doesnt allways do it. I dont think its anything to do with the outside tempature because on one of the hottest days so far it ran at a little over a half. It also seems to climb even more if I go over 65 70. I dont have a ac belt. Im not sure if this is really anything to worry about.
82 maxima ld28 200K
zythr

Re: Slight Overheating Maybe?

Post by zythr »

Dairy wrote:I have a 82 maxima with the diesel and its a auto. I am not sure if it is overheating exactly or not. I had to replace the tempature sensor and it had a diffrent end on it so i had to change the end on the wire. It seemed to run good and stay at a little over a half for the most part. In town it would never go any higher. When I get on the highway it will sometimes climb to 3/4 or more but it doesnt allways do it. I dont think its anything to do with the outside tempature because on one of the hottest days so far it ran at a little over a half. It also seems to climb even more if I go over 65 70. I dont have a ac belt. Im not sure if this is really anything to worry about.

The RPMs on the 82 auto are higher at 60 than the 83 auto due to the 82 being only a 3 speed and not the changed to 4 speed auto that was offered on the 83 model. If I'm correct at 60 the RPMs are close to 3000 RPM, (high for a 6 cylinder motor). I'm not saying that this might be the cause of your concern, but it is just some information.
Dairy

Post by Dairy »

Thanks for the information, I've been woundering what the RPMs were.
82 maxima ld28 200K
rlaggren

Post by rlaggren »

Driving fast or uphill it runs hotter. Mine goes to 3/4 sometimes; normally it sits about 1/3-1/2, at 85 it sits about 2/3.

Rufus
82 Maxima wagon
kossak

Post by kossak »

I'm experiencing the same issue. When going uphill my gauge too goes up to 3/4 or maybe even a bit higher. But I don't have the radiator shroud, I wonder what difference can that make...
'86 Nissan Laurel LD28 AT
Dairy

Post by Dairy »

How hot should the valve cover be? Last night my temp was almost to the top line but wouldnt touch it. I got out and touched both the radiator and the valve cover and I could hold my hand on them for a while. Today the gauge was lower just a little above normal for me and now i can hardly touch the cover for over a few seconds,
82 maxima ld28 200K
davehoos

Post by davehoos »

is it low on coolant-steam vapour measures funny.also exhaust flowing into the coolant-you may have cool water and hot gauge.

is the coolant circulating.somtimes water pumps dont.
the temperature is measured under the thermostat,maybe its stuffed-this stops the coolant flowing into the radiator and that why it might be cold.

when flushing coolant i like to disconect the top hose with a house water hose flowing in the radiator.on these old cars the coolant will flow slowly like pulsing as the Thermostat cycles.with the engine reving it may get to a fast flow if the water is warm.

i like to put the garden hose into the heater pipes.to flush it.when doing this i check the flow caused by the pump not the hose and temp coming out when doing this you can test the top radiator flow and temp.

when flushing coolant i normall flush with water and run the engine.often i go for a drive and if its mine i may do a few days before a second quick flush and drain then replace with as much as i can.
WCJR31 Skyline.3.0 manual.wagon
R31 SKYLINE/Passage GT/PINTARA
LPG Ford Falcon 99-06 93 Disco
Local Shire Southern Zone Mechanic.
Dairy

Post by Dairy »

I've noticed it doesnt do it when I drive it when after first starting it, but if its been warmed up and I drive it back home( 10 miles) thats when it gets hot.
82 maxima ld28 200K
diesel-man
Deceased

Post by diesel-man »

Check the fan clutch to see if is "free-wheeling" or is it "engaged" and pushing a good amount of air when it is at these hot temps. Maxi's have a tendence for the fan clutch to slip inside the unit. It is an easy fix if it is. Maybe my writeup is on it is a sticky...maybe not.