HELP Transmission

General information about the first-generation Nissan Maxima in the US. What was the Datsun 810 became the luxury leader Maxima in the US in 1981.

Moderators: plenzen, glenlloyd, goglio704, Nissan_Ranger

Dairy

HELP Transmission

Post by Dairy »

Transmisson ran fine no problems. Today a shop goes to move it and it doesnt shift. (I just changed the oil and filter couple thousand ago) I get it and in all gears it hardly moves when i rev it. It sounds like the first thing to check is filter. I have a book for it but it is curently 80 miles away and I have no way to get it till this weekend.
82 maxima ld28 200K
Dairy

Post by Dairy »

Just removed the transmission pan. I found a think black "film" or something that has to be rubbed off the top of the filter and there is some in the pan. There is also more metal savings in the pan and filter than I would like to see for less than 5,000 miles.
82 maxima ld28 200K
Dairy

Post by Dairy »

Checked the coolant and there was some oil at the top. Before when I checked the tranny fluid I noticed a black streek and thought it was oil. But I didnt think there was a way for oil to get in the tranny so I ignored it. Now Im geussing oil got into the coolant, Then into the trans cooler and into the tranny and well no we have a tranny that doesnt work.
82 maxima ld28 200K