Cummins Swap?

General information about the first-generation Nissan Maxima in the US. What was the Datsun 810 became the luxury leader Maxima in the US in 1981.

Moderators: plenzen, glenlloyd, goglio704, Nissan_Ranger

Dairy

Cummins Swap?

Post by Dairy »

I woundered if a cummins 4 cylinder would go into this car. I dont want to know the pros and cons of choosing this engine. I want to know if it fits. Im pretty sure the engine would be the easyiest part and the hard part would be fimding a tranny and stuff that would work.
82 maxima ld28 200K
lww

Post by lww »

Anything can be made to "work" given the motivation, time and money.

However, I believe the Cummins 4BT is taller than the Maxima crossmember to hood would allow. Also, the 4BT in an automotive application is kinda rare, hard to come by and generally expensive if you find one and the person knows what they have.

If you're thinking a Cummins 6BT like those available in the Dodge 25/3500 diesel trucks, that motor weighs nearly as much as an entire 1st Gen. Maxima. The 4BT would stress the front unibody and stock suspension where the 6BT will literally crush it.

4BT's are pretty popular with the "off-road" swap crowd. The 6BT is not popular due to the engineering necessary to accommodate it's size and weight.