L4N71B Life Expectancy

General information about the first-generation Nissan Maxima in the US. What was the Datsun 810 became the luxury leader Maxima in the US in 1981.

Moderators: plenzen, glenlloyd, goglio704, Nissan_Ranger

HowlerMonkey

Post by HowlerMonkey »

If you're going to make any power, the 4n71b from a z31 300zx turbo is much beefier much like the 3n71b out of a 280zx turbo.

Sadly, they require a different driveshaft yoke because of the thicker tailshaft.
asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

OK . . .
HowlerMonkey wrote:If you are replacing the maxima L4n71b, it would be better to go with one originally from a Z31 turbo since they can handle more than 200hp unlike the maxima L4n71b.
I am not very well versed with the Z31, but that's a VG30-engine rig, right?

I see some mention that the later Z31 uses the E4N71b, which appears to be partially electronically controlled.

Assuming bellhousing interchangability, is the L4N71b from 1984 300ZX Turbo the only year of HD L4N71b that can be made to bolt up to the L-series blocks? Seems like I'm reading that '85-on 300ZX ATs are E versions.

=============
Reading a couple of your posts over at z31.com, on ECUs, I agree with high ESR or leaking electrolytics. I did over 50% of my repairs via caps alone (monitors & terminals). I've done a lot of PCB rework due to missing traces. The NEC 4fg was a bread-n-butter monitor in its day that would etch a good many traces, but was an expensive enough monitor that people would pay me good money to repair them. See the "NEC 4fg" section of my old database of repairs.
Regards,
Al S.

1982 Maxima diesel wagon, 2nd & 4th owner, 165k miles, rusty & burgundy/grey. Purchased 1996, SOLD 16Feb10
1983 Maxima diesel wagon, 199k miles, rusty, light yellow/light brown. SOLD 14Jul07
1981 720 SD22 (scrapped 04Sep07)
1983 Sentra CD17, 255k, bought 06Jul08, gave it away 22Jun10.
davehoos

Post by davehoos »

most of the latter transmissions use the larger dia output shaft.so a donor shaft should be easy to get.

E4N71b,uses contact switches in the valve body to inform the control ECU of what gear is in current use.the ecu then controls kickdown to alter the shift pattern.and od/and lock up cancel solinoid function.just dont use these functions.

bellhousing fits,but the tourque convertor may not.

300ZX turbo is compatible with a RB30E.RB30ET has a real gearbox.
i used a CA20E trans fitted with the LD28 valve body to get the oil pressure needed..it has a soft shift second gear servo that needs to be swaped but i just used it holding gears to get positive gear shift when needed.

the old nissan V8 3 speeds have the best internals,lots of clutches.

not very many have heavy duty clutches in overdrive section.
WCJR31 Skyline.3.0 manual.wagon
R31 SKYLINE/Passage GT/PINTARA
LPG Ford Falcon 99-06 93 Disco
Local Shire Southern Zone Mechanic.
asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

What's an old nissan V8?
Regards,
Al S.

1982 Maxima diesel wagon, 2nd & 4th owner, 165k miles, rusty & burgundy/grey. Purchased 1996, SOLD 16Feb10
1983 Maxima diesel wagon, 199k miles, rusty, light yellow/light brown. SOLD 14Jul07
davehoos

Post by davehoos »

NISSAN PRESIDENT not sold out of japan.Y44.10-20 yrs ago lots of engines exported out of japan-at the time these unable to be legalised for road use here,however i see the odd 240Z-260Z cedric and patrol conversions,the engine bolts to the original mountings.

engine is based on a ford[alledgedly] i cant see it.i have a bell housing.

presidents are very common as grey imports in countries like UK and new zealand.used as hire cars and company limo's in japan.have a look on yahoo auctions japan as these have been collectables as oldtimers..

early examples are have been built under liecence in china or russia.they look very american.

i never looked at the later efi versions,at the time there was nothing you could do to get it going other than LPG.,unlike now with cheep STAND ALONE[that what you call aftermarket ECU].the engine/trans sold here for about the same price as a 4 speed g/box.i dought you find one now.

with the infinti brand-came a newer version of V8 then completly new v8.,the old engine retired off to power UD truck fleets,CNG/LPG.im guessing this is the source of the petrol carby engines i looked at and worked on..

the trans has lots extra clutch plates and an extra deep oil pan.impossible to get a filter as it has an extended pick up to reach the bottom.

Unless you doing lots of towing i can only see the overdrive band as a weekness in the trans,simple way is not to let the overdrive shuttle between gears.comercial vehicles obtain high milages from the light duty box.

RB30ET here have no lock up convertors,same as the CA20E,common practice for the nissan powered GM cars to have the wires cut on the lockup cancel solinoid.these cars use a 3.45:1 with 6X15 inch 75 profile tyres compared to the skylines 3.9-4.1,or japanese 4.3:1.and small dia tyres.when the lock up engages the load increases and the overdrive starts shuttling,but with very low line pressure.with the LD28[R30] gearbox ive used it held on to gears for grim death.thats why i made up a box using a CA20E large output shaft box.
davehoos

Post by davehoos »

philip
Deceased

Post by philip »

davehoos wrote:http://page2.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/b681993

nissan V8 3 speed auto
LPG
Did that link work for you? No for me.
-Philip
Passed 08May2008
My friend, you are missed . . .

1982 Datsun 720KC SD-22

"Im slow and I'm ahead of you"
asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

Dave's link worked when he posted it. It's dead now.
Regards,
Al S.

philip
Deceased

Post by philip »

asavage wrote:Dave's link worked when he posted it. It's dead now.
"Another one bites the dust ... 'nuther one bites the dust"

Bada Boom.
-Philip
Passed 08May2008
My friend, you are missed . . .

1982 Datsun 720KC SD-22

"Im slow and I'm ahead of you"
HowlerMonkey

Post by HowlerMonkey »

Old thread but it seems that the rx-7 turbo 4n71b may be the strongest of the transmission type.

stall speed is sky high on the rx-7 so I will see if the nissan torque convertor for n/a cars or the diesel will fit.

I may use the bellhousings I have and try to use a 300zx controller on this to fit it to the ld28 and will report back.
davehoos

Post by davehoos »

GM-Holden RB30ET 4 speed[no tourque convertor lock up] is the best to use but a Z31 VG30ET is similar.

the japanese nissan DOHC turbo versions use the standard australian RB30E trans-- its similar to the mazda box,the turbo versions have higher oil pressure.australians tow large trailers with small family cars so the trans has to last in traffic.
HowlerMonkey

Post by HowlerMonkey »

That would probably net a torque convertor with a diesel friendly stall speed.

I believe the stall speed on the RX-7 turbo II was nearly 3000rpms and I do remember shifting at 9100 rpms on that box for many years before it finally died.

Upon disassembly, I found it had 4 planets in the gearset rather than the usual 3.