1982 Maxima Wagon Front Struts & Rear Disc Conversions

General information about the first-generation Nissan Maxima in the US. What was the Datsun 810 became the luxury leader Maxima in the US in 1981.

Moderators: plenzen, glenlloyd, goglio704, Nissan_Ranger

DMS

1982 Maxima Wagon Front Struts & Rear Disc Conversions

Post by DMS »

Hello All,

My front shocks are done. Im ready to put something better in.

I actually have a complete 1983 280zx turbo front end with brand new shocks and used lowering springs. I know the hubs are different and a few other bits so they wont just bolt on, but I was curious if I could use the lowering springs and shock insert on the Maxima from the 280zxt?

Anyone know?

Im going to have to source rear shocks and a lowering block kit for the back next.

The next hurdle is adapting rear disc brakes. I have 200sx rear disc calipers and brackets. They are from the old 200sx with the H190 so I believe they will fit my wagon. I assume if I order some new 200sx rotors up they will fit?
Thanks folks!

Ray
Last edited by DMS 11 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Ray
DMS

The Answer IS...

Post by DMS »

First off, I know the spring rates for a 280zx turbo and the Maxi Diesel ARE different. I would expect valving in the shocks to be as well.

Here is what I found:

The basic strut tube is identical. However they will not bolt back in forth between the two models. There are 2 reasons.
1. The ball joints are different and they are not interchangable from what I see unless you manage to figure out if the control arms are also. The steering arm is also a different length and shape.
2. The ZX and Maxi hubs/brake assemblies are also different. I dont know why Nissan did this, because in the end the mounting surface for the wheel is identical! It appears the ZX caliper is mounted closer to the strut while the Maxi is farther out. Perhaps its bearing loading between the 2 cars or wheel design issues that were hampered by the caliper position. I dont know.

I am 99% sure without having removed the strut cartridges that the shocks inside are identical in physical size. Maybe high performance shocks for a late 280zx are an option for those looking for new shocks if Maxima shocks can not be located. I havent looked for new shocks so I dont know if that is an issue. EDIT: I searched and found that late 280ZX front struts are the same listed part number for the Maxima! So confirmed physical dimensions!

The springs diameters as far as purches go are the same, but the maxi springs for the diesel are much stiffer! The spring hats might be interchangable with some trimming of the ZX, but I did not need to replace mine so I let them alone.

The shocks I had in the ZX were suppose to be new, but they are toast or non charged types so I did not end up pulling them apart.

For now I am trying out the ZX lowering springs which have close to the same spring rate as the maxi springs but are 2 inches lower fully compressed!

Thats all for now. Hope this helps someone in the future!

Ray

EDIT: These wheels are hideous to me. They are 14". The springs feel good on all the roads. I do notice sharp corners with bumps at 10+ MPH can get the tire to hit the fender liner, but I think my liners are not secured. The car may be to low for some tastes here. It settled out pretty low. I plan on changing the wheels though.
Ray
rlaggren

Post by rlaggren »

Thanks for the info, Ray.

I'm going to have to do something to my wagon's front end since the used strut I had to put in last years is sticking badly and it sounds like I need bearings.

Rufus
82 Maxima wagon