starting circuit

General information about the first-generation Nissan Maxima in the US. What was the Datsun 810 became the luxury leader Maxima in the US in 1981.

Moderators: plenzen, glenlloyd, goglio704, Nissan_Ranger

dieselfink

starting circuit

Post by dieselfink »

does anybody have the starting circuit wiring diag for a 83 maxi realy getting tired of jumping it at the starter....ginition switch is sending power in the start position@black/yellow wire then somewere it turns to black/red to starter ...ive checked the green relay which im assuming is the starter relay, it is good but getting no power @ coil side of relay..alldata has nothing that i have found on the starting circuit phhh..
83 maxi, ld28, fire ringed, copper head gasket, 5 angle valve job, ported head, coustom turbo flange, gt28r ball bearing turbo 20psi of boost@1250degrees, timing bumped, full load screwed, cold air, straight piped, 308k miles..for now
Dr. Jones

Post by Dr. Jones »

I'll take some pictures and upload them tomorrow. I noticed you turbo charged your ld 28,I am considering turbo charging one of mine and putting it in a 1997 landcruiser. Do you think it will have enough guts. At most i will want to be able to get up to 85 on the highway comfortably and I will also want to be able to do some fairly aggressive climbing/offroading with the truck. The other engine option I am considering is a cummins 4bt.

Thanks,
Joe
'82 Maxima Sedan x2
'92 Saab 9000 Griffin Edition Wrecked
'80 Ford E100(twisted tranny) SCRAPPED
Dr. Jones

Post by Dr. Jones »

'82 Maxima Sedan x2
'92 Saab 9000 Griffin Edition Wrecked
'80 Ford E100(twisted tranny) SCRAPPED
asavage
Site Admin

Re: starting circuit

Post by asavage »

dieselfink wrote:Iginition switch is sending power in the start position@black/yellow wire then somewere it turns to black/red to starter ...ive checked the green relay which im assuming is the starter relay, it is good but getting no power @ coil side of relay..alldata has nothing that i have found on the starting circuit phhh..
Image Image
That's a well-known Maxima problem. Read that thread for test locations, problem locations, and FSM wiring diagram corrections.
Regards,
Al S.

1982 Maxima diesel wagon, 2nd & 4th owner, 165k miles, rusty & burgundy/grey. Purchased 1996, SOLD 16Feb10
1983 Maxima diesel wagon, 199k miles, rusty, light yellow/light brown. SOLD 14Jul07
1981 720 SD22 (scrapped 04Sep07)
1983 Sentra CD17, 255k, bought 06Jul08, gave it away 22Jun10.