first gen and second gen interchanging parts

General information about the first-generation Nissan Maxima in the US. What was the Datsun 810 became the luxury leader Maxima in the US in 1981.

Moderators: plenzen, glenlloyd, goglio704, Nissan_Ranger

dieselfink

first gen and second gen interchanging parts

Post by dieselfink »

OK so I went to pull a part today in search of interior parts and found two second Gen maximas both with just as ragged interior that mine has....:(....but did get two brake calipers that I needed along with a grille headlights a wingding back tail lights and interior out of a Mercedes long story short the calipers and interior are the only thing that's going to work with a little moding long story short what the heck will interchange with other Nissan's on these things....went to oreillys and couldnt get a carrier bearing or a u joint!!!!!were do y'all find parts for these things????
83 maxi, ld28, fire ringed, copper head gasket, 5 angle valve job, ported head, coustom turbo flange, gt28r ball bearing turbo 20psi of boost@1250degrees, timing bumped, full load screwed, cold air, straight piped, 308k miles..for now
Carimbo

Post by Carimbo »

Driveshaft officially non-serviceable, but I bet a good driveline shop could rebuild it. What do you consider 2nd Gen. Maxima?
dieselfink

Post by dieselfink »

84-88 year models r second gens to my understanding
83 maxi, ld28, fire ringed, copper head gasket, 5 angle valve job, ported head, coustom turbo flange, gt28r ball bearing turbo 20psi of boost@1250degrees, timing bumped, full load screwed, cold air, straight piped, 308k miles..for now
HowlerMonkey

Post by HowlerMonkey »

Completely different cars but there sure are a lot of large interior parts that look as if they might interchange....with minimal work.

What's really strange is the second generation's floor shape sure is similar to the first generation.

I haven't tried any interchange but some stuff might fit.
Duaneclark

Post by Duaneclark »

The carrier bearings are readily available, E-Bay, Rock Auto, most parts stores. They must have used them also in more popular applications. The drive shaft is kind of a replace the whole thing when a U-joint is bad. There is an internet source for a company that will sell a new one-piece driveshaft for the Maxima, but I have a 1984 gasser with a (looks like) new one piece driveshaft, and it vibrates badly at certain speeds, there is a reason Nissan had a two piece driveshaft. I don't see why a driveshaft rebuilder couldn't weld new ends with replaceable u-joints onto the original, but this is expensive.
Duane
HowlerMonkey

Post by HowlerMonkey »

I played around with two piece driveshafts for a while on mine but went to a 1 piece and everything is sweet.