Front springs

General information about the first-generation Nissan Maxima in the US. What was the Datsun 810 became the luxury leader Maxima in the US in 1981.

Moderators: plenzen, glenlloyd, goglio704, Nissan_Ranger

Dr. Jones

Front springs

Post by Dr. Jones »

Anyone know where I can get a set of front springs? I tried Rock Auto, Advanced and Autozone.
'82 Maxima Sedan x2
'92 Saab 9000 Griffin Edition Wrecked
'80 Ford E100(twisted tranny) SCRAPPED
barkford

Parts

Post by barkford »

Dont know if an 1984 gen1 part would work on an earlier model year but maybe woth a look?
http://parts.nissanusa.com/nissanparts/ ... on=Keyword

Have you also thought about pull a part?

http://www.pullapart.com/
Dr. Jones

Post by Dr. Jones »

I try to stay away from the dealership but I do need a oil cooler gasket and are the only ones I can find that have them. I will ask them and see what they have. Hows the leaky Max doing? I used to just deal with it in mine but I have since needed to caulk it because my laptop hates it.
'82 Maxima Sedan x2
asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

Do you have to have new ones, or will used ones (for LD28) do?

Mark Hartz still has the '81 Wagon in his backyard. You'd have to pay him to pull & ship the springs, but I'm pretty sure he'd do it. PM me if interested, or try calling him directly (his phone number is in the last post in that thread).
Regards,
Al S.

1982 Maxima diesel wagon, 2nd & 4th owner, 165k miles, rusty & burgundy/grey. Purchased 1996, SOLD 16Feb10
1983 Maxima diesel wagon, 199k miles, rusty, light yellow/light brown. SOLD 14Jul07
1981 720 SD22 (scrapped 04Sep07)
1983 Sentra CD17, 255k, bought 06Jul08, gave it away 22Jun10.
Dr. Jones

Post by Dr. Jones »

Thanks Al. I have a set of used ones, I just feel that they are probably worn out by now. Any thoughts of the longevity of this part?

I will definetly compile a list for Mark.
'82 Maxima Sedan x2
asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

My Wagon had leafs in back, and they were definitely shot.

I do not think the coils are particularly robust, no, but I couldn't hazard a guess as to longevity.
Regards,
Al S.

1982 Maxima diesel wagon, 2nd & 4th owner, 165k miles, rusty & burgundy/grey. Purchased 1996, SOLD 16Feb10
1983 Maxima diesel wagon, 199k miles, rusty, light yellow/light brown. SOLD 14Jul07
1981 720 SD22 (scrapped 04Sep07)
1983 Sentra CD17, 255k, bought 06Jul08, gave it away 22Jun10.
Dr. Jones

Post by Dr. Jones »

Napa is showing a set, I might try them. I replaced the rears in both and ended up with dramatically different results. My manual sits high and is more likely to get loose than the automatic it sits a little low. I got the rears for the manual at autozone or advanced and the rears for the automatic from rock auto. I would get them from rock auto in the future. Before replacing the rears they were really bad. I can't see the fronts being much better although I don't have as uch bounce if the front as I did in the rear.
'82 Maxima Sedan x2
Duaneclark

front springs

Post by Duaneclark »

An old trick front alignment shops used, if one spring sags a little compared to the other, they would insert a rubber spacer in the coils, so both springs were at the same height.
Duane