Brake Bleeding

General information about the first-generation Nissan Maxima in the US. What was the Datsun 810 became the luxury leader Maxima in the US in 1981.

Moderators: plenzen, glenlloyd, goglio704, Nissan_Ranger

Dr. Jones

Brake Bleeding

Post by Dr. Jones »

Hi all. I hope everything is going well.

I can't seem to build pressure in my system to bleed the front brakes. The back bleed fine, but when I moved upfront I could not build up pressure. Any ideas to what could be going on? I replace the master cylinder, should I have bench bleed it?
'82 Maxima Sedan x2
'92 Saab 9000 Griffin Edition Wrecked
'80 Ford E100(twisted tranny) SCRAPPED
Nissan_Ranger

Post by Nissan_Ranger »

ALWAYS bench bleed a new master cylinder...

If you replaced it without touching the calipers, you can sometimes get away with some 'cheating' by removing the front wheels and then collapsing the caliper pistons back into their respective housings with judicial prying. This forces fluid back up into the master cylinder causing air to be displaced and likely making it possible to carry on with a normal bleeding...

N_R
The old 'six gun' was as popular as the cell phone in its time and just as annoying when it went off in the Theater.
Dr. Jones

Post by Dr. Jones »

Awesome, I have since tried to bleed the front while attached to the car with no luck. I am going to set up a rig to force fluid from the front line into the master.
'82 Maxima Sedan x2
Dr. Jones

Post by Dr. Jones »

Anyone ever hear of the NPT valve failing? Rear brakes are still sticking the only culprits I can think of are NPT, Calipers or the replacement pads need a shave? Any insight greatly appreciated.
'82 Maxima Sedan x2
Duaneclark

bleeding brakes

Post by Duaneclark »

Your master cylinder should force fluid through either of the front calipers with the bleeder screw open. Better if master is pre-bleed. If you're pressure bleeding from the master cylinder, fluid should come from the caliper, even if the proportioning valve NPT is stuck one way or another, it couldn't be stuck all the way one direction. If fluid doesn't flow, look for clogged bleeder screws, (remove them), clogged line, (flex or pipe), or go to the master and make sure fluid comes from the front brakes port. It could be a defective new master cylinder. Good luck! Duane
Duane
Nissan_Ranger

Post by Nissan_Ranger »

Many modern master cylinders will -not- pump fluid into the brake lines if they are not bench bled first.

N_R
The old 'six gun' was as popular as the cell phone in its time and just as annoying when it went off in the Theater.
Dr. Jones

Post by Dr. Jones »

Thanks guys. I finally got it after switching out 2 masters, NPT, and finally the rear calipers. I think the seals swelled up, I will know more after I get them apart.
'82 Maxima Sedan x2