Gasser vs Diesel front Cross members?

General information about the first-generation Nissan Maxima in the US. What was the Datsun 810 became the luxury leader Maxima in the US in 1981.

Moderators: plenzen, glenlloyd, goglio704, Nissan_Ranger

DMS

Gasser vs Diesel front Cross members?

Post by DMS »

Ive have run into an issue. I pulled the LD28 out of one of my 82 goons, and went to convert it to a gasser engine, come to find out the gas engine wont bolt into the cross member for the diesel... The mounting points are an inch farther apart. I went digging through the FSM and found nothing on the subject. There is a gasser in the wrecking yard, but before I go out there and go through the hassle of pulling it, I thought Id double check with you guys and confirm its different for sure and not something wrong on my part.

Im sure some of you guys have converted a gasser to diesel here, was there any fuss with the engine cross member mounting points?
Ray
asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

I had no ideal they were different. I don't even know why, as the blocks are very similar.

I read of a fellow making a gasser from a LD28 block. I may have even read it here.
Regards,
Al S.

1982 Maxima diesel wagon, 2nd & 4th owner, 165k miles, rusty & burgundy/grey. Purchased 1996, SOLD 16Feb10
1983 Maxima diesel wagon, 199k miles, rusty, light yellow/light brown. SOLD 14Jul07
1981 720 SD22 (scrapped 04Sep07)
1983 Sentra CD17, 255k, bought 06Jul08, gave it away 22Jun10.
DMS

Post by DMS »

After some digging I ended up at a pick n pull wrecking yard. Other than the torque shock thing they are the same.
in other countries they have 4cylinder options like the ca18 in their bluebirds and the cross members are slightly different. I was on the aussiebluebird site and it confused me a bit before I realized they were 4 cylinder cars over there.

I just picked up another 910. 83 sedan diesel factory 5spd btw. It was a mere $300!
Ray