Ram air for the LD 28

General information about the first-generation Nissan Maxima in the US. What was the Datsun 810 became the luxury leader Maxima in the US in 1981.

Moderators: plenzen, glenlloyd, goglio704, Nissan_Ranger

Dr. Jones

Ram air for the LD 28

Post by Dr. Jones »

I've been thinking of making a makeshift scoop to force air into the intake. Has anyone tried this or care to venture a guess as to the results? The are a few posts pertaining to the SD 22 on the topic of fuel compensation, but nothing, that I can find, on the LD 28.
'82 Maxima Sedan x2
'92 Saab 9000 Griffin Edition Wrecked
'80 Ford E100(twisted tranny) SCRAPPED
Carimbo

Re: Ram air for the LD 28

Post by Carimbo »

Isn't it ram-air already? IIRC, the intake opening is just behind the top of the grille, which should be a high-pressure area at speed.

I also recall that 61 inches is some kind of magic number for diesel air intake path distance, and the Maxima/LD28 air intake distance is near that. Something to do with soundwaves/turbulence/etc. OK, maybe I'm wrong about the 61 inch intake length, wonder where I got that idea from?
Duaneclark

Re: Ram air for the LD 28

Post by Duaneclark »

I've noticed that diesel air intake on many vehicles is carefully designed to avoid water ingestion, such as from heavy rain or splash. So I'm guessing that the intake of water is far worse for a diesel than gas engine. So just a note to be careful with any ram intake that there's no chance of water ingestion. Duane
Duane