need thicker spring pads for my 1983 Maxima

General information about the first-generation Nissan Maxima in the US. What was the Datsun 810 became the luxury leader Maxima in the US in 1981.

Moderators: plenzen, glenlloyd, goglio704, Nissan_Ranger

thetimemachine

need thicker spring pads for my 1983 Maxima

Post by thetimemachine »

Hi, I been member for a while unfortunately since this car is so reliable I am not here often, consequently I forgot my info for my Minotaur profile. Anyway here is my question:
I replaced the factory fuel filter with Racor/Parker Green Max filter. Since it was so large only place I could install it was in the passenger side front wheel well. Obviously I did it with the tire removed. When I lowered the vehicle off the jack stands and attempted to turn the wheels the front tire hits the fuel filter assembly. I noticed with the vehicle supported by Jack stands the wheels turns with out hitting the filter assembly. My question can I find (unless fabrication is my only option) spring pads, higher springs and or struts to raise the vehicle height to the maximum it will go, so I be able to turn the front wheels while not hitting the fuel filter assembly.
Thanks Paul
786-564-2976
Miami, FL
Attachments
Racor / Parker Green Max filter
Racor / Parker Green Max filter
20150825_171210.jpg (2.23 MiB) Viewed 5471 times
thetimemachine

Re: need thicker spring pads for my 1983 Maxima

Post by thetimemachine »

Ok folks I see 11 views as of January 28, 2016 but know no one has answer for me : - (
Maybe I should rephrase the question is their a lift kit available for my 1983 Nissan Diesel Maxima?
plenzen

Post by plenzen »

It's unlikely there is any kind of lift kit for this vehicle.
To be perfectly honest with you I would probably look for a better location for that filter assembly.
It's gonna get the crap beat out of it from road debris/water/mud/rocks etc. That glass/plastic bowl will be busted or cracked pretty quickly I think.
There has to be some other place to put this rather than in the wheel well.
It's my opinion only, but finding another spot will be much MUCH easier than trying to lift the car so the tire won't rub on it etc.
Retired Pauly
Problem with being retired is that you never get a day off.
1987 D21-J SD25 KC
KJLGD21FN
thetimemachine

Post by thetimemachine »

Actually i asked a buddy at Napa autoparts and he said i just need to get longer springs. He suggested I contact Rose Spring Corp www.rosespring.com he said i need to measure the distance from the ground to the bottom of the vehicle until i get to the point where I can move the front tire.

I also have a metal shield that protects the the filter housing and plastic bowl. I looked all over and this was the only place that met Racor Parker recommend installation instructions.

When i finally obtain the springs, but if i had a plate that would add height this would be alot easier. So does any one else have suggestions to raise the vehicle?

Thanks Paul
Carimbo

Post by Carimbo »

Folks not giving you the answers you want because we don't know about lift kit for the front of the Maxima. You're on your own if you are intent of going at it this way.

Me? I would find a filter that would fit in the engine compartment. At one point, I had two of them in there. Worked great! Can you not find an appropriate sized filter that will fit in the engine compartment?
plenzen

Post by plenzen »

Question for you.

What happens when you hit a pothole or speed bump that defects your front wheel up 3 or 4 inches. What then ?
Retired Pauly
Problem with being retired is that you never get a day off.
1987 D21-J SD25 KC
KJLGD21FN