1982 maxima diesel random washers found during repair

General information about the first-generation Nissan Maxima in the US. What was the Datsun 810 became the luxury leader Maxima in the US in 1981.

Moderators: plenzen, glenlloyd, goglio704, Nissan_Ranger

Softaildeluxe05

1982 maxima diesel random washers found during repair

Post by Softaildeluxe05 »

So somehow the two bolts that hold the alternator to the mounting bracket that is attached to the block both heads were stripped clean off the bolt, leaving the alternator sitting loose only attached by the arm that pivots to adjust belt tension at the top. So to fix this I had to move the alternator out of the way, and remove the a/c compressor to access all the bolts to the bracket that holds the alternator and the compressor. I did all that and when I looked down, laying on the ground right below where that bracket is located was the pictured copper crush washer and a very thick washer (or spacer of some sort). I have no idea where these could go as I didn't see either on any bolt or fitting I took off or disconnected while disassembling. The only thing I can think of is these were dropped down there on accident by a previous owner and have been stuck between the compressor and the mounting bracket just along for the ride the whole time? Any help or guidance would be greatly appreciated. I don't wanna put everything back together leaving these parts off and risk messing everything up. And by the way, to get the headless bolts out of the holes they were stuck in i had to drill through the center of them and tap in a self tapping screw to back them out. I was successful and will be inserting one straight through bolt this time.
Attachments
20171106_174652.jpg
20171106_174652.jpg (2.07 MiB) Viewed 5739 times
plenzen

Re: 1982 maxima diesel random washers found during repair

Post by plenzen »

The "very thick" one appears to be a small bearing from ??????? something. Possibly like you said got dropped down there and that's where it's been living since you took the alternator out. Maybe an old idler bearing??
The copper washer looks like it's from a banjo fitting, perhaps from the fuel system or an injector tip washer. Also, perhaps dropped when fuel system was being serviced.
Tell me
Is there a vacuum pump on the back of the alternator ? It may be from the banjo bolt that holds the oil line to that pump and may have been dropped when the last time the alternator was removed. .......maybe.
Retired Pauly
Problem with being retired is that you never get a day off.
1987 D21-J SD25 KC
KJLGD21FN
Softaildeluxe05

The thicker metal one isn't a bearing, it's one solid chunk of metal. And the alt. Does have the pump on the back of it, I did not remove that when I moved the alternator. I'm thinking these hadn't on have just been riding there
plenzen

Post by plenzen »

OK then.

The thick one is likely a spacer of some sort.
I'm still thinking that the copper one if not from the fuel system then perhaps someone at one point someone removed the oil line from the back of vacuum pump on the rear of the alternator and dropped it in behind it.

Paul
Retired Pauly
Problem with being retired is that you never get a day off.
1987 D21-J SD25 KC
KJLGD21FN
Softaildeluxe05

Alrighty, thanks for the input. I guess I'll just start putting everything back together and home nothing catastrophic happens haha. I appreciate you responding and giving your advice! I'll reply eventually and let you know how everything went
Softaildeluxe05

OK soooo, I found out the thick spacer goes between the top ac compressor bolt hole and the part of the bracket that is attached to the engine that the ac compressor bolts to. It was obvious when I started putting things back together. And the copper washer, you were right, was to the banjo bolt on the pump on the rear of the alternTor. It has 2 washers on that bolt and I didn't know. I just didn't see or pay attention when these fell off. The copper washer was also obvious aS I pieced it all back together. Thanks alot alot! For the help, it is much appreciated