Leaking Injection Pump

SD diesels were widely available in the US in the 1981-86 Datsun/Nissan 720 pickups, and in Canada through '87 in the D21 pickup.

Moderators: plenzen, Nissan_Ranger

Lonnie

Leaking Injection Pump

Post by Lonnie »

Good morning,
I've searched for this but couldn't come up with an answer.

ON my IP one of the injector lines are leaking. Not at the nut that connects the line but just below the second nut closer to the pump. I tried to tighten it but it wouldn't move. Is there some kind of seal in there that need's replaced?

I'm getting ready to replace the injectors with rebuilt & would like to fix this at the same time.

Thanks,
Lonnie
1982 Datsun 720 diesel.
1996 Dodge cummins... 538 hp 1200+lb/tq.
asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

Maybe Ref. No. 57 in this picture?

Different view in the 2nd pic in this post.

It's fairly common for the big o-ring between the steel distributor head and the aluminum housing to leak. Are you certain of the location of your leak? Hard area to see.
Regards,
Al S.

1982 Maxima diesel wagon, 2nd & 4th owner, 165k miles, rusty & burgundy/grey. Purchased 1996, SOLD 16Feb10
1983 Maxima diesel wagon, 199k miles, rusty, light yellow/light brown. SOLD 14Jul07
1981 720 SD22 (scrapped 04Sep07)
1983 Sentra CD17, 255k, bought 06Jul08, gave it away 22Jun10.
Lonnie

Post by Lonnie »

Al,
That's not my pump. Mine is an inline pump.
I spoke to a fellow this afternoon at Oregon Injection & he told me all I needed to do was remove the line & take some steel wool & clean the mating points & this should take care of the leak. He claims this is a common area on these pumps to leak.

Does he know what he is talking about? You're right, is is hard to tell just where it's leaking from!

Funny thing about the leak is it only leaks when it's cold or just warming up. If I drive it until it heats up then it stops leaking...

Lonnie
1982 Datsun 720 diesel.
philip
Deceased

Re: Leaking IP

Post by philip »

Lonnie wrote: ON my IP one of the injector lines are leaking. Not at the nut that connects the line but just below the second nut closer to the pump. I tried to tighten it but it wouldn't move. Is there some kind of seal in there that need's replaced?

-Philip
Passed 08May2008
My friend, you are missed . . .

1982 Datsun 720KC SD-22

"Im slow and I'm ahead of you"
Lonnie

Post by Lonnie »

Philip,
I can now see why I couldn't tighten it. To me it looked like it's leaking just above the Knerled part but now I see that it's all one pc. I suspect that it's leaking at the red arrow. So should I be able to take it apart from the red arrow, clean things up & tighten it back up?

I was trying to tighten it with the bolt assembly still in place. :oops:

You're thoughts?

Thanks,
Lonnie
1982 Datsun 720 diesel.
philip
Deceased

Post by philip »

Lonnie wrote:I was trying to tighten it with the bolt assembly still in place. :oops:

You're thoughts?

Thanks,
Lonnie
1. Loosen the bolts that secure the lock plates
2. Loosen the one delivery valve that is leaking ... about one turn.
3. Now re-tighten to the spec (22-25 lb).
4. Re-tighten the lock plates ... just a little, maybe 24-30 inch pounds.

Not likely this is the leak source. Much more likely is the nozzle pipe flare tips due to damage. Both ends of the pressure pipes must align to the delivery valve (and nozzle, respectively) perfectly before you start turning down the flare nuts.

Let's see if this seals.
Last edited by philip 16 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
-Philip
Passed 08May2008
My friend, you are missed . . .

1982 Datsun 720KC SD-22

"Im slow and I'm ahead of you"
Lonnie

Post by Lonnie »

Thanks Philip,
Looking at the flare nut there isn't any fuel on the threads of any them. Thats why I think it's coming from the delivery valve...

I'll work on it tonight.

Lonnie
1982 Datsun 720 diesel.
asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

Sorry, Lonnie: I thought I was in a different forum when I replied and I didn't even bother to read your Sig. Shoot me!

Philip's your guy on this one.
Lonnie

Post by Lonnie »

OK Al,
Bang! :lol:

Not a problem!

Philip, I took the set of lines off tonight. 3 of the 4 fuel delivery valves were loose & I mean I could take them out with my fingers! #1 was so tight I couldn't get it loose without really reafing on it, but 2,3,& 4 & turned with my fingers...
So I went ahead & took lock plates off & turned them back one turn & then retightened per your specs. I would think this should fix the leak.

I went ahead & removed the injectors & will send them to Oregon Injection tomorrow. They are going to rebuild my core & send me new washers for $45 ea. so I didn't think that was too bad of a price.

I fished around & tried to get the copper washers out but that looks like it will be a bear...

Thanks again for your help!
Lonnie
1982 Datsun 720 diesel.
Lonnie

Post by Lonnie »

Received my rebuilt injectors yesterday & installed them this morning.

WOW :shock: what a huge differance! & Philip... no injector pump leaks! I can't believe how smooth it runs now.

Before it smoked like crazy on the first start in the morning if it was even just a bit cool out. This morning it was 34 deg. & only a little puff of black smoke! :D Yep, I'm very happy!

On my way to work there is a 5 deg. grade about one mile long. Before I could just bearly make 45 Mph in 4th & this morning I hit 55 & was still climbing before I got to the top.

Now I'm hoping that I'll get better mileage as I've only been getting around 24 in town & 28 hwy.

Thanks again for your help!

Lonnie
1982 Datsun 720 diesel.
TooManyIdeas

Post by TooManyIdeas »

Hey Lonnie, does Oregon Injection do mail order rebuilds? Every diesel shop in ABQ wants no less then $150 per. Do you think you could hook me up with an address? :wink:
82 Datsun 720 King Cab Diesel - FOR SALE !!!!
85 Chevy Monte Carlo CL
90 Toyota Pickup -SOLD
05 Kia Spectra 5
02 Dodge Dakota Quadcab
-OOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHH YEAH!!!!!
asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

You can Google OFI for their address. Their contact info is here. I'm pretty sure they do mail order no problem. OFI seems to enjoy a decent reputation.

Today, I sent off a Toyota Nippondenso-licensed Bosch-VE-style IP to H & H Diesel in Milton, WA. $650-850 for overhaul, typical for a VE.
TooManyIdeas

Post by TooManyIdeas »

I was told $1500 for the sd22 IP. Too much?
82 Datsun 720 King Cab Diesel - FOR SALE !!!!
85 Chevy Monte Carlo CL
90 Toyota Pickup -SOLD
05 Kia Spectra 5
02 Dodge Dakota Quadcab
-OOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHH YEAH!!!!!
asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

I've never gotten an estimate for rebuilding an inline IP.
Lonnie

Post by Lonnie »

I dealt with a fellow by the name of Jim at the Eugene location.

They charged me $45 ea + shipping to rebuild the injectors. I just pulled mine & mailed them to them & they had them back to me in less then a week.

I'm sure they would do the same with a pump...

Lonnie
1982 Datsun 720 diesel.