Pistons

SD diesels were widely available in the US in the 1981-86 Datsun/Nissan 720 pickups, and in Canada through '87 in the D21 pickup.

Moderators: plenzen, Nissan_Ranger

philip
Deceased

Pistons

Post by philip »

I saw these pistons on Ebay. They are from a 1976 Chrysler/Nissan SD22 marine application.

This is the only verified example I have of the 5 ring pistons taken an SD22. These are also listed for industrial/forklift applications. I asked the seller to check for a steel carrier cast into the top compression ring groove. He replied "no steel carrier in these pistons."

Talk about some sorry looking pistons. The blowby must have been heavy. Seller said this engine had only 3000 hrs on it. If you were to use 25 mph as an -averaged- speed, that would be only 75,000 miles! Pathetic.

NOTE: The following 1981 Nissan product bulletin states all road vehicle SD22 now have the three ring piston with integrated steel ring carrier for the top compression ring. A call to Nissan Parts confirms 3 ring only for 720 trucks and ... 3 ring only for subsequent SD23 & SD25 fours.

Image(G.Guest)

And just for the intrigue, here is the 5 ring piston for the SD33 six cylinder, naturally aspirated on the left and turbocharged on the right. Notice the steel compression ring carrier on the turbo piston.

Last edited by philip 17 years ago, edited 4 times in total.
-Philip
Passed 08May2008
My friend, you are missed . . .

1982 Datsun 720KC SD-22

"Im slow and I'm ahead of you"
philip
Deceased

Re: Pistons

Post by philip »

Piston ring life in any diesel can be compromised drastically when you use "dirty" Waste Vegetable Oil.

The abnormal wear here occured in an SD22 running WVO and aftermarket rings. The pistons were of the 3 ring variety with steel ring carrier.

ImageG.G.
Last edited by philip 17 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
-Philip
Passed 08May2008

1982 Datsun 720KC SD-22

philip
Deceased

Post by philip »

This time around the pistons in Galen's SD22 get a thermal coating treatment by HPC Coatings

Last edited by philip 17 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
-Philip
Passed 08May2008

1982 Datsun 720KC SD-22

TheDieseliminator

Post by TheDieseliminator »

philip wrote:This time around the pistons in Galen's SD22 get a thermal coating treatment by HPC Coatings
What does the thermal coating treatment do for the pistons? Is this being done mainly because he's been building his new SD22-T? Looks cool. Wow, Galen I wish I could take a ride in your truck after you pop that awesome, rebuilt engine in. :wink:

Salvy
(EST)MahviaDeTyrk

Post by (EST)MahviaDeTyrk »

Is the SD25 piston with steel ring carrier ??
ehtrain

Post by ehtrain »

i know this is old but i would also be interested to know the sd25 came with steel ring carrier. ive read bits of info suggesting some of the last years made were built for with the steel carrier