SD Injector pump installation info needed

SD diesels were widely available in the US in the 1981-86 Datsun/Nissan 720 pickups, and in Canada through '87 in the D21 pickup.

Moderators: plenzen, Nissan_Ranger

JeffSterrett

SD Injector pump installation info needed

Post by JeffSterrett »

Hello all. A friend of mine has an excavator with a Nissan SD engine (SD22 I believe). An employee of his recently filled the fuel tank with Florobloom (fertilizer) and ran the thing until it died. My friend flushed the entire fuel system, and also removed the injector pump and had it rebuilt. After reinstalling the pump, the engine will not fire. He asked me to come and look at it and I think they didn't get the teeth lined up properly when they reinstalled it. I'm basically just looking for information on how you align the gears during installation, i.e. how are the gears marked?, before I pull it apart to fix it. I realize this is basically an automotive forum, but was hoping you guys could help me out with this anyways.

The injection pump is a "Diesel Kiki" pump

Thanks in advance
Tom Young

Installing the IP

Post by Tom Young »

There are marks. As I recall, it's simple with one mark on a single tooth on the IP gear, and two marked teeth on the timing gears that straddle the marked IP tooth.

When I switched mine, after marking the above tooth alignment, I aligned the mark on the IP with the timing mark on the engines housing. That turned out to be just right but you may have to time it.

That's also well covered on this forum. Just do a search.

Good luck. Don't worry about the loader, my SD 22 is in my sailboat.
asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

From the 1983 720 Factory Service Manual ("FSM"):

(click on any image for larger)
Image Image

After you've conquered the gears timing, you'll need to fine-tune the IP timing. Philip wrote a good post on this: SD Injection pump timing, toward the end of the post is the Spill method.
Regards,
Al S.

1982 Maxima diesel wagon, 2nd & 4th owner, 165k miles, rusty & burgundy/grey. Purchased 1996, SOLD 16Feb10
1983 Maxima diesel wagon, 199k miles, rusty, light yellow/light brown. SOLD 14Jul07
1981 720 SD22 (scrapped 04Sep07)
1983 Sentra CD17, 255k, bought 06Jul08, gave it away 22Jun10.
dangrrangr

Post by dangrrangr »

where would someone get a tool to thread in like that? or is there something else that would work the same?
dangrrangr yes i have a 91' ford ranger with a sd22 engine out of a fork lift and 720 5 speed tranny :)
dangrrangr

Post by dangrrangr »

?
dangrrangr yes i have a 91' ford ranger with a sd22 engine out of a fork lift and 720 5 speed tranny :)