head bolts

SD diesels were widely available in the US in the 1981-86 Datsun/Nissan 720 pickups, and in Canada through '87 in the D21 pickup.

Moderators: plenzen, Nissan_Ranger

pidder

head bolts

Post by pidder »

Does anyone know if any of the head bolts need any kind of a thread sealant on them? I had to remove the head on my sd22 to drill out a broken exhaust manifold bolt and am now reinstalling the head but was wondering if any thread sealant is required on any of the bolts or just put a new headegasket and re torque the bolts. Thanks.
dimedriver

Post by dimedriver »

Please, double check the FSM if you can find one. Possibly calling Jesco may clear this up to.

General head bolt care:
-run a thread cleaning tap into all bolt holes in the block before replacing head.
-You should always use some form of lube when torqueing head bolts. torque will not be correct otherwise.
-Check that head bolts are not one time use (Mostly a GM thing).

Specific to your question:
Do any of the bolts have rust on the ends of them? As if they were in contact with coolant?
If so put some form of sealant on them. a good parts shop can help you find the correct type(Napa, car quest, parts plus, or local/family owned).

There is also a lot info on the binder bulletin board http://www.binderbulletin.org
I think that's I remember one called the binder bin or something. It had a really cross reference of a ton of parts so I'm sure those guys would know for sure.
-Dime
pidder

Post by pidder »

Thanks for the info. I have my motor back together and purring like a kitten. Norm