Moisture coming out of Exhaust

SD diesels were widely available in the US in the 1981-86 Datsun/Nissan 720 pickups, and in Canada through '87 in the D21 pickup.

Moderators: plenzen, Nissan_Ranger

dieseljunky

Moisture coming out of Exhaust

Post by dieseljunky »

Hello. I have something to pick your brain. I was fixing fence this weekend and was low on fuel and sucked some air into the line. Once I got more fuel in the tank I started cranking on it to get fuel back up to the pump. Then I bled the pump and she took right off. But now I am seeing some black moisture coming out of the exhaust.

I can't tell if it is water that I sucked from the filter, condensation, or if it is oil coming out. Before I ran it low on fuel I never noticed any discharge from the exhaust pipe. There is no smoke from the exhaust pipe while the engine is running.

Engine starts and runs smoothly as well.

Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks
Nissan_Ranger

Post by Nissan_Ranger »

It's getting colder around here now and I'm getting moisture now until the exhaust system gets hot...
The old 'six gun' was as popular as the cell phone in its time and just as annoying when it went off in the Theater.
dieseljunky

Post by dieseljunky »

Yes the temp is starting to get cooler. I had the engine running long enough I thought all the moisture should have burned off. It just worries me a little but hopefully it will burn off or quit on of these days.
Nissan_Ranger

Post by Nissan_Ranger »

I don't think there is anything to worry about; moisture is a by-product of combustion. Hydro-carbons plus oxygen results in energy release in the form of heat, carbon dioxide, and water...
The old 'six gun' was as popular as the cell phone in its time and just as annoying when it went off in the Theater.
dieseljunky

Post by dieseljunky »

Ya I guess so. It just bothers me that I have never noticed it before. It seemed like the moisture started after I ran it low on fuel.