Diesel Fuel additive ATF

SD diesels were widely available in the US in the 1981-86 Datsun/Nissan 720 pickups, and in Canada through '87 in the D21 pickup.

Moderators: plenzen, Nissan_Ranger

Gubernaculum

Diesel Fuel additive ATF

Post by Gubernaculum »

Has anybody ever heard of using/adding automatic transmission fluid to your diesel?

An old trucker (18 wheeler) said he and others did it to keep system clean? 1 gallon per 100 gallons!

Comments?
J M Hellman
81 Datsun 720 2 wd
09 Z71
06 Kubota 5700
04 Yamaha Raptor 660
07 Yamaha Rhino 660
02 Polaris 500 HO Sportsman
07 Lexus ES 350
02 Australian Shepherd
Nissan_Ranger

Post by Nissan_Ranger »

I've never done it. No need when using clean, fresh fuel. I have been known to add a little cetane booster in really cold weather. I don't think it'll do any harm although I wouldn't use anywhere near as much as 1 gallon atf per 100 fuel.
The old 'six gun' was as popular as the cell phone in its time and just as annoying when it went off in the Theater.
plenzen

Post by plenzen »

I have heard of that as well but have never done it. I use Stanadyne fuel additives only. http://www.stanadyne.com/view.php?id=74 I use the Performance Formula in the winter and the Lubricity formula in the summer. The Red Line diesel conditioner is pretty good too as is the Power Service product. The Stanadyne is expensive but IMO is the best one you can get. I have a number of small bottles that used to contain gas line antifreeze, fuel injection cleaners, etc. and keep pre-measured shots in a bucket in the box of truck. The shots are based on a 50L fill up. FWIW

Paul
Retired Pauly
Problem with being retired is that you never get a day off.
1987 D21-J SD25 KC
KJLGD21FN
davehoos

Post by davehoos »

common practice with old tractors and trucks.

a bit pre emision activity and normally recycled oil.

so the point of filtering would be suspect--unless you used new oil.
also i think you find some of the fuel additives treatments if you payed the real cost would be cheeper.
WCJR31 Skyline.3.0 manual.wagon
R31 SKYLINE/Passage GT/PINTARA
LPG Ford Falcon 99-06 93 Disco
Local Shire Southern Zone Mechanic.