SD22 Exhaust / Intake Systems

SD diesels were widely available in the US in the 1981-86 Datsun/Nissan 720 pickups, and in Canada through '87 in the D21 pickup.

Moderators: plenzen, Nissan_Ranger

philip
Deceased

SD22 Exhaust / Intake Systems

Post by philip »

Long ago, on forum far far away, the subject of possible benefits from improving exhaust flow became a subject of conversation. One member found such a system for the SD22 manufactured by an Australian company. But when the company was contacted, the response was they had no more in stock and had no intention of making any more headers for that application. Certainly a THIN market! But here is a picture of their advertised header for the SD22.

Notice the unusual cylinder pipe pairing: 1 with 3 & 2 with 4.

Since diesels are low RPM torque oriented, a good FLOWING system in a naturally aspirated diesel is far more important than having tuned / calculated length header pipes. Equal length pipes impose on the limited space between the starter, steering column, frame, and torsion bar. The underhood room on the exhaust side is already a bit snug. Also, it is not known if the system above is compatible with the presence of an A/C compressor.

So as best I know presently, you could have custom fabricated a compact welded steel tubing manifold with minimal sharp bends ... forget about tuned lengths. This would be quite adequate for a low RPM naturally aspirated diesel.
Last edited by philip 17 years ago, edited 3 times in total.
-Philip
Passed 08May2008
My friend, you are missed . . .

1982 Datsun 720KC SD-22

"Im slow and I'm ahead of you"
asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

We want turbos!
Regards,
Al S.

1982 Maxima diesel wagon, 2nd & 4th owner, 165k miles, rusty & burgundy/grey. Purchased 1996, SOLD 16Feb10
1983 Maxima diesel wagon, 199k miles, rusty, light yellow/light brown. SOLD 14Jul07
1981 720 SD22 (scrapped 04Sep07)
1983 Sentra CD17, 255k, bought 06Jul08, gave it away 22Jun10.
philip
Deceased

Post by philip »

asavage wrote:We want turbos!
I'm not enamored by the turbo idea on the SD. From what I've learned thusfar, it seems to me some kind of automatic fuel lever positioner mechanism needs to be in place to compensate for times of high boost. The air throttle body / pneumatic governor system just doesn't pencil out well with a turbo in the picture. VE pump or the marine inline (mech throttle, no pneumatic governor) would be better. All the heat in proximity to the starter would promote the hot soak "click click click" when attempting a hot start. And I DO like my A/C !

I've been studying the TD27 (2.5 & 2.3) Nissan diesel engines. For all the differences, I'd opt for the TD engine. ALL the above obstacles are addressed very nicely. And you still get bragging rights! :wink:

The TD has the intake and VE fuel injection pump (with boost / mixture controls) on the right side. The exhaust and turbo are on the left side. It appears the starter is also on the left.
Last edited by philip 18 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
-Philip
Passed 08May2008

1982 Datsun 720KC SD-22

philip
Deceased

Post by philip »

asavage wrote:We want turbos!
Yeah well, I got an idea that ... I want Galen to build! :D

The idea is a reapplication of this "rear turbo" setup shown installed on a late model Corvette.

A single turbo would fit nicely (I think) just ahead of the muffler on a 720 truck. :D

Just think ... the turbo and its attendant heat would be out of the way, you could retain the A/C compressor, and the stock air filter cannister would be elsewhere.
-Philip
Passed 08May2008

1982 Datsun 720KC SD-22

kassim503

Post by kassim503 »

I saw this on tv! I dont remember what show but they run the pipes under the car, and it dosent take up room under the hood! Also the extra piping helps cool the air too, I also saw it in person on a dodge ram @ a show, its pretty neat
'83 maxima sedan, l24e, a/t, black

227K SOLD 6/7/2012
asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

That's the STS Twin Turbo kit, $7800:
(click on image for a website selling the kit)
The turbos are only oil-cooled though.
Regards,
Al S.

1982 Maxima diesel wagon, 2nd & 4th owner, 165k miles, rusty & burgundy/grey. Purchased 1996, SOLD 16Feb10
1983 Maxima diesel wagon, 199k miles, rusty, light yellow/light brown. SOLD 14Jul07
1981 720 SD22 (scrapped 04Sep07)
1983 Sentra CD17, 255k, bought 06Jul08, gave it away 22Jun10.
Knucklehead

Post by Knucklehead »

Sorry, this is the best I can do right now.

Last edited by Knucklehead 17 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
EvergreenSD

Post by EvergreenSD »

I'm speechless!!
philip
Deceased

Post by philip »

EvergreenSD wrote:I'm speechless!!
I guess it's okay now to divulge Galen's early prototype system.

-Philip
Passed 08May2008

1982 Datsun 720KC SD-22

philip
Deceased

Re: SD22 Exhaust Systems

Post by philip »

I ran across these photos on ebay.

Seems like a vertical stack ... with a rain flapper/stopper on the top would be a natural. :wink:

Well, somebody did it!

-Philip
Passed 08May2008

1982 Datsun 720KC SD-22

TheDieseliminator

Re: SD22 Exhaust Systems

Post by TheDieseliminator »

philip wrote:Seems like a vertical stack ... with a rain flapper/stopper on the top would be a natural. :wink:

Well, somebody did it!
Hey guys, I'm surprised no one posted a link to this 82 Datsun 720 diesel with chrome stacks that was on Ebay not too long ago in the Peddle/Procure forum. I didn't miss this truck on EbayMotors either when I happen to do a daily search at least every other day. Nice looking truck, the yellow paint looks good, and the chrome stacks with the flatbed are a great addition. Hopefully the person that bought the truck off Ebay will become a member here someday. And I bet it's great to drive behind that little unit as it goes down the road. :wink:

1982 Datsun Maxima diesel wagon w/ 228k miles
*occasional daily driver*

1982 Datsun Maxima diesel sedan w/ 252k miles
*now off the road as a parts car and sent to the yard :( *