1984 Nissan diesel smoking

SD diesels were widely available in the US in the 1981-86 Datsun/Nissan 720 pickups, and in Canada through '87 in the D21 pickup.

Moderators: plenzen, Nissan_Ranger

Dylly

1984 Nissan diesel smoking

Post by Dylly »

I have a 1982 Nissan king cab 2wd that has recently started to blow white smoke badly. I had initially thought it was the injectors but I had them rebuilt and its doing the same thing. The rad isn't bubbling or pressuring up so I don't feel like its head gaskets... yet.

I did drive it a little hard before it started doing this.. 5 speed, I drove it to the governor through a few gears.

Could this be the injection pump? Its not surging and it starts fine just smokes like a cold start... constantly.

What about it being out of time aka timing belt?

Thanks for the help
elminero67

Post by elminero67 »

White smoke is usually steam-which can mean blown head gasket or cracked head. If you haven't done so, check your oild to make sure there is no radiator fluid (foamy) and that the radiator isnt low....
fieldtech

Post by fieldtech »

white smoke can indicate low compression also- valves out of adjustment or burnt seats..
two 1982 720 diesel pickups- 200 numbers apart in the vin. one has 438k- runs great- pulled engine to put in a Sami. other 720 has 161k. turboing both!!