What would be a good set of spares parts to carry on a boat?

SD diesels were widely available in the US in the 1981-86 Datsun/Nissan 720 pickups, and in Canada through '87 in the D21 pickup.

Moderators: plenzen, Nissan_Ranger

karma1Captain

What would be a good set of spares parts to carry on a boat?

Post by karma1Captain »

I have a SD22 (MN4-33 Marine version of the SD22) on my 45' Columbia sailboat, currently in the Caribbean.

It's working fine, with low hours since it's last re-build in 2003, and I'd like to ensure that it continues to do good service.

Can anyone suggest what parts/kits would be a good spares kit for the engine, short of a full rebuild? And the best spot to get them?

Thanks,
J
rlaggren

Post by rlaggren »

Suggest you join this mailing list of boaters and ask your Q. It has more to do with the boating environment than it does about any particular brand engine. There are archives of the list but it doesn't look straightforward to just do a search so best to join and ask; some of the members also maintain websites and save articles they can pass on to you.

http://liveaboardonline.com/mailman/listinfo/liveaboard

Maintaining the fuel storage and supply is paramont, so anything the makes that happen is on the list. The raw water pump is next, followed by the starter and alternator systems. The Lv-Abd list should supply lots of detail.

Cheers,

Rufus
82 Maxima wagon
TOYoung

Re: What would be a good set of spares parts to carry on a b

Post by TOYoung »

karma1Captain wrote:I have a SD22 (MN4-33 Marine version of the SD22) on my 45' Columbia sailboat, currently in the Caribbean.

It's working fine, with low hours since it's last re-build in 2003, and I'd like to ensure that it continues to do good service.

Can anyone suggest what parts/kits would be a good spares kit for the engine, short of a full rebuild? And the best spot to get them?

Thanks,
J
I'm on my second SD22, marine versions. I think the easy stuff is most important. Filters. Keep plenty of oil filters for regular oil changes. Of course the same for fuel filters(both your primary and secondary).

On parts, belts are one thing I've needed over the years. My next worry would be the hoses(although I've never had much problem). Try to see you have them all covered with replacements.

Then I'd cover both the raw water pump with a rebuild kit as well as the engines water pump with a spare. Whatever you have for a mixing elbow at the raw water to exhaust connection, is it easy to maintain and clean(that can be a problem area with marine exhaust systems in general)? Also any exhaust hose pieces that may need replacing.

How confident are you in your heat exchanger? That's a hard part to gauge. But it's also one you may be able to rebuild somewhere or find a spare in a boating area. A spare would be nice...

Other than that, I can't think of what you really should carry unless you plan to be so remotely located that no access to parts would be available.
Most of this engine is robust and long lived with good maintenance.

The trick I find is researching the part you need so that you can get a part number(this website is a great source for many of those part id's). With a number, I've yet to be unable to find a part even though I often deal with non marine part suppliers.