SD22. Multiple leaks + questions (720, LHD)

SD diesels were widely available in the US in the 1981-86 Datsun/Nissan 720 pickups, and in Canada through '87 in the D21 pickup.

Moderators: plenzen, Nissan_Ranger

ipper

SD22. Multiple leaks + questions (720, LHD)

Post by ipper »

Hey folks! Hoping I could get some help tracking down some stains & leaks on my 720 pickup. I've got oil stains in multiple places:
-Below the oil-filter assembly.
-Below the 'oil-cooler' assembly.
-Front, side away from motor, & below the injection pump.
-Out a tube on the driver side of the engine. Looks like it is supposed to connect to something but is currently uncapped. Leaking all over starter motor.
-Coming from the exhaust manifold gasket.
-Also, there is a shiny clear stain around the front most fuel injector.

My roommate did some research & we tightened the valve cover a bit but it still consumes ridiculous amounts of oil. I was figuring on pulling the valve cover & replacing that gasket, and probably the oil filter assembly & 'oil cooler' gaskets in one go. Does anybody have any better ideas? Common leaks?

Thanks!
dn29626

Post by dn29626 »

Over the starter. That allows the engine to breath. Attach a hose (heater hose works good) long enough to go behind the cab or to the back of the truck (gets fumes away from the cab).

Wash the engine with simple green. Cause the leaks to reveal fresh locations.
82 King Cab 2wd (nice)
82 Reg Cab (body damage)
Anderson , SC
Since Fall 2009
ipper

Post by ipper »

Washed the motor down and took it for a drive. Looks like its coming out from the oil-filter bracket/assembly but not sure yet, wiped it all down again and will report back.

I've also got a bit of oil seeping from the headgasket & around the exhaust manifold. Stains running down the block. How big of a problem is this? I've got some photos but cant find a place here to upload them.

Also, what kind of leakage is expected from the breather tube? Its got a pretty thick film of oil on the inside.

Thanks!

EDIT: pics

ipper

Post by ipper »

Don't like double posting... sorry yall. I believe to have found my leak!
Oil is seeping up between the oil-filter bracket & the block. It doesn't look like there is a gasket here.

Could someone check the assembly instructions for a gasket or provide scans of the instructions? I've got a collection of service manuals but nowhere does it show this area in any detail except for an explosion without a gasket shown. I do have a torque spec of 20 to 27 ft-lbs.

Thanks!
asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

Bad Nissan FAST parts exploded view:

(click here for larger)

Nice FSM page, but gaskets not shown:
(click here for larger)
Regards,
Al S.

1982 Maxima diesel wagon, 2nd & 4th owner, 165k miles, rusty & burgundy/grey. Purchased 1996, SOLD 16Feb10
1983 Maxima diesel wagon, 199k miles, rusty, light yellow/light brown. SOLD 14Jul07
1981 720 SD22 (scrapped 04Sep07)
1983 Sentra CD17, 255k, bought 06Jul08, gave it away 22Jun10.