cav dpa pump help needed SD 22

SD diesels were widely available in the US in the 1981-86 Datsun/Nissan 720 pickups, and in Canada through '87 in the D21 pickup.

Moderators: plenzen, Nissan_Ranger

hafskip

cav dpa pump help needed SD 22

Post by hafskip »

Hi all, we are looking for urgent help with a SD 22 engine fitted with a cav dpa injector pump,stuck at anchor in Vanuatu.
The engine was running OK and then stopped suddenly.
I replaced all fuel filters, checked glow plugs, bled system,
Checked stop lever, there seems to NO high pressure fuel coming to the injectors!
Does anyone have an idea please?
Can this pump be the issue and if yes can it be serviced?

Many thanks
Ralph
plenzen

Post by plenzen »

I suspect the shut down lever or fuel solenoid if fitted with one.

That being said, I am not familiar with that particular pump in this application. All of the SD22's/25's here are fit with the inline type Kiki pump.

There are some SD25's fit with the VE style Kiki pump ( rotary/distributor style) pumps

I am assuming the CAV pump you are referring to is the rotary style/distributor type ?

If you are certain that the shut down lever is working correctly and has not become disconnected inside the pump ( I know that may be hard to determine ) then remove the front cover from the engine that gives you access to the gear that actually drives the pump and see if the shaft of the pump has not busted off and that the pump is actually turning when you crank the engine.

The pump is fairly easy to remove, however given your ???? "remote location" you may be anchored for a day or two.

If you have never removed the pump before then there are a few things you need to know in regards to timing etc.
Retired Pauly
Problem with being retired is that you never get a day off.
1987 D21-J SD25 KC
KJLGD21FN
hafskip

Post by hafskip »

Hi Pauly, many thanks for the reply.
I thought it might be as much.
In the mean time found a professional here and he suggested the same.
I tried tapping on the sideof the housing, but that didn't help.
I took the backcover off to see if shaft still OK and turning the pump, it is:-)
So now I have removed the IP and handed it on. Fingers crossed.
Will update as soon as I have news . Looks like this CAV pump installed only for Taiwan versions. For what ever reason.
I winder if I could replace with a kiki or ve if I need to change it over.

Thanks again

Ralph
plenzen

Post by plenzen »

Yes you would be able to change it over.
That being said you will have to of course get the correct one.
Both pumps are Kiki . The inline version has a 4 bolt mounting and the VE style has 3.
A suggestion if you have to come to that would be to obtain the injector lines as well from whatever donor motor you get the pump from. Trying to use injector lines from a distributor type CAV on a VE Kiki may not work that well. The injectors will be the same but the spread pattern where they attach to the pump may be different.

Looking at the map of just exactly where you are and I would suspect your search ( if required ) would start in Fiji and then to Aus ?? There are a number of members on this forum from Aus as well. Davehoos is one that comes to mind although I have not seen him on here for a while. He does or did have a PM address. He may be a good source to reach out too if needed. There are a number of other members here from Queensland etc as well. I thought at one point there was a member from Fiji but could not locate him in the members list.
Good luck and keep us posted on your "quest"

Paul
Retired Pauly
Problem with being retired is that you never get a day off.
1987 D21-J SD25 KC
KJLGD21FN