Any Portland SD22 Mechanics willing to look over my truck?

SD diesels were widely available in the US in the 1981-86 Datsun/Nissan 720 pickups, and in Canada through '87 in the D21 pickup.

Moderators: plenzen, Nissan_Ranger

Driftwood

Any Portland SD22 Mechanics willing to look over my truck?

Post by Driftwood »

Hi, I'm new to this blog and live in Portland, OR. I noticed there's quite a few Portland members and was wondering if anyone is willing to help me go through the engine to see if theres anything I'm overlooking. I'd be more than happy to compensate for your time!

The jist...

I bought this truck recently and it's been sitting for quite a few years. Exactly how long is unknown to me but the tags expired in 95'. The other day I got it running for the first time! Appears the fuel rail was a little stuck and I've isolated the problem to to the DPC unit or the IP motor. Going to install a choke cable through the firewall for the mean time to manually cut off fuel.

Any procedures I should go through for an engine that has been sitting for a while?

Any kind of help or recommendations to a good SD22 mechanic would be much appreciated. It seems like theres not many out there who are familiar with the SD22.

Cheers and thanks everyone for the informative posts!
larrynsr

Post by larrynsr »

Just be sure to change all your oils. I use only chevron delo 400 15w-40 diesel oil. Walmart has them for $12 a gallon. Also flush your cooling system and add a good coolant additive available at oil filter service in Se pdx on market street. Be sure to also add a drop or two of cod liver oil in the injection pump diaphram.
Driftwood

Post by Driftwood »

Thanks larrynsr, got that all covered. Just trying to to tune her up now. Got to make sure she passes emissions.
charmalu

Post by charmalu »

These are old engines and I doubt many mechanics know much about these engines, and especially the old mechanical ones. The majority of them are the newer electronic controlled ones. These engines are probably older than the majority of mechanics.

Be sure to do a Valve adjustment.

If this has been sitting since 95, might be a good idea the drain and clean the fuel tank. Diesel fuel is known to grow some Algae or Fungus in the fuel if it has sat for a long time and there is water from condensation. may not have it but never know.

West marine has some called Startron, or maybe Biobor. This kills the bugs.

I agree to change all your fluids and filters so you have a base line to start from. Air, oil and fuel filters. check the rubber fuel lines and if they look old and cracked, change them. a hard, cracked line can suck air and cause you all types of problems. they may not leak, but when the lift pump is pulling fuel could suck air.

The Primer Pump attached to the lift Pump down low on the Injection pump if the old style they are known to suck in air if there is any leakage. there is a new style of Bosch pump that you just pump it w/o having to unscrew the handle like the older style. think they are around $17. easy R&R.

When I bought my 82 back in 81 (dang I have had it for 32 yrs, Yikes.) the manual said to add Datsun special oil for the IP. went to the dealer to find out what this oil was. they actually didn`t know and had to make some calls. they said Cod Liver oil. well the stuff seems to get gummy after a while.

I read in a book years ago to use Neats Foot Oil for the leather Diaphragm to keep it soft. So have been using for a long time.

The book is by Tab Books # 968
How to convert your car, van, or pickup to diesel

By Paul Dempsey
third printing 1980

Isbn 0-8306-8968-0

PG 132

The Leather Diaphragm may grow stiff in service and give
erratic response. It can usually be salvaged by application of Neats-foot
oil, which may be sold at engine outlets as Diaphragm oil.

This is an old book, here on Amazon. Little pricy, I paid $6.95

http://www.amazon.com/How-convert-your- ... ul+dempsey

Another book I bought early on, I was looking for anything Diesel to learn all I could. Chilton`s Diesel guide.

http://www.amazon.com/Chiltons-Diesel-G ... esel+guide

Look for a Datsun FSM, it has a lot of valuable info in.
This is a little pricy, but Amazon was nuts on their price.
Look on E-bay for a manual, or a member here might have one.

http://www.diyrepairmanuals.com/products.asp?cat=10832

So you have Smog testing for Diesels in Portland?

Hope this helps you some.

Charlie
82 Datsun KC 483K lost #2 cyl blowing blue smoke :cry:
83 Nissan LB 134K SD-25 as of 10-21-13
78 240D Mercedes $300 Parts?
80 240D 360K
80 240D Parts? $750
82 240D Parts? $440
84 300SD 270K
85 300D 363K
86 Ford F250 6.9 Diesel 221K
larrynsr

Post by larrynsr »

Driftwood wrote:Thanks larrynsr, got that all covered. Just trying to to tune her up now. Got to make sure she passes emissions.
As long as it doesn't smoke like a freight train, 99.9% of the time you will pass with flying colors.
Nissan_Ranger

Post by Nissan_Ranger »

larrynsr wrote:Be sure to also add a drop or two of cod liver oil in the injection pump diaphram.
I think you should read this: http://nissandiesel.dyndns.org/viewtopic.php?t=183

I don't know if the Nissan part is available any longer. I can suggest that you use some power steering fluid. I put about an ounce of it into my governor some ten years ago. Still in there. Still working just fine.

HTH,

N_R
The old 'six gun' was as popular as the cell phone in its time and just as annoying when it went off in the Theater.
Driftwood

Post by Driftwood »

I was thinking mineral oil might work well for this application. I noticed that it wasn't talked about in the mentioned thread. Mineral oil is a nice light oil and is commonly used to clean and condition leather.