SD22 (MARINE) OIL FILTER PROBLEM

SD diesels were widely available in the US in the 1981-86 Datsun/Nissan 720 pickups, and in Canada through '87 in the D21 pickup.

Moderators: plenzen, Nissan_Ranger

plenzen

Re: SD22 (MARINE) OIL FILTER PROBLEM

Post by plenzen »

It keeps the same base piece that is currently mounted to the block you have now. It uses a nipple that is the same thread size as your through bolt with a nut on it to tighten it to the base housing you have there now. The adapter is machined lower where this nut goes on so you would have to use a socket on it to tighten the piece down. You would use one of your current O ring gaskets around it. once you tighten the nut on the nipple the adapter is held into place much the same as your current filter housing is held there now. The protruding part of the nipple ( the nut is lower than the filter sealing surface ) is the same thread as the spin on filter takes. The adapter has a hole drilled in it for the oil to flow into the filter and it returns down the center and through the nippl the same is it does now.
If that makes sense.
I can see it in my brain, just cant "splain" it very well.

They also make a "remote" one as well that uses a machined piece that bolts on to the current filter housing with 2 holes drilled on the top for flare fittings to go on and 2 hoses to run to another aluminum piece that is designed to have a filter spun on to it.

I'll dig around for some pictures of these things.

Edit

Was just reading some more things on this forum and Al posted a link to a remote bypass filter he put on. There are some photos there of bits and pieces that Al used to do this. Have a look here http://nissandiesel.dyndns.org/viewtopi ... 6&start=15 to see what he used and whats available part number etc. Pretty sure that your current filter canister ("through bolt") has a standard "filter nipple" thread on it. ( filter nipple will make sense when you look at the pictures etc )
Retired Pauly
Problem with being retired is that you never get a day off.
1987 D21-J SD25 KC
KJLGD21FN
TOYoung

Post by TOYoung »

plenzen wrote:It keeps the same base piece that is currently mounted to the block you have now. It uses a nipple that is the same thread size as your through bolt with a nut on it to tighten it to the base housing you have there now. The adapter is machined lower where this nut goes on so you would have to use a socket on it to tighten the piece down. You would use one of your current O ring gaskets around it. once you tighten the nut on the nipple the adapter is held into place much the same as your current filter housing is held there now. The protruding part of the nipple ( the nut is lower than the filter sealing surface ) is the same thread as the spin on filter takes. The adapter has a hole drilled in it for the oil to flow into the filter and it returns down the center and through the nippl the same is it does now.
If that makes sense.
I can see it in my brain, just cant "splain" it very well.

They also make a "remote" one as well that uses a machined piece that bolts on to the current filter housing with 2 holes drilled on the top for flare fittings to go on and 2 hoses to run to another aluminum piece that is designed to have a filter spun on to it.

I'll dig around for some pictures of these things.

Edit

Was just reading some more things on this forum and Al posted a link to a remote bypass filter he put on. There are some photos there of bits and pieces that Al used to do this. Have a look here http://nissandiesel.dyndns.org/viewtopi ... 6&start=15 to see what he used and whats available part number etc. Pretty sure that your current filter canister ("through bolt") has a standard "filter nipple" thread on it. ( filter nipple will make sense when you look at the pictures etc )
I sort of get it. So the new plate stays bolted to the old base with a new nipple with a nut on it? Does the new adaptor fit inside the the outer edge and the raised inner lip that houses the old element gasket(and uses that for a more or less permenent seal)? I don't quite follow how the lower nipple that threads into the old base - with the nut on it - creates a new upper nipple to screw on the new filter.

What are the rubber gaskets for? What are the two bolts for?

I wonder if it would fit this cannister base?

Ok, did some googling. Now I get it! But I can't find one that specifies it fits a CN-44 cannister base. Any ideas?
Here's one for a tractor:

plenzen

Post by plenzen »

You may have to do some measuring and get one that's close and if necessary have a machine shop turn the "engine side" so that it will fit into the same O ring slot where the original cannister used to go with a fresh cartridge O ring under it. Take your canister with you and get them to make the bottom portion of ypur adapter the same . (hope that makes sense ) Maybe even want to keep a few of those cartridge O rings as spares and change out ever 2nd or 3rd oil change to keep it from drying out and cracking etc.
I'm really sorry I can't explain this better.
The one you have shown is exactly correct as what you want to do and may have to modify to fit. If you could physically look at the tractor one you would see exactly what you had to do.
Retired Pauly
Problem with being retired is that you never get a day off.
1987 D21-J SD25 KC
KJLGD21FN
waynosworld

Post by waynosworld »

OK, I used one of them oil filter adapters(sandwich adapter), I had to buy the one with the thread slope I had, I believe I ended up with one that had M20Xp1.5 when I needed one that was 3/4 UNF 16.
I needed mine because I wanted to use an electric oil pressure gauge, but the sensor was to big to fit where the dash light sensor fit on the diesel engines, and these sandwich adapters are cheap, all you do is search "oil filter sandwich adapter" on ebay.
I added a couple photos of my adapter on the SD25 diesel engine, but I have the spin on oil filter threads that stick out, what needs to be done in your situation is you need a threaded nipple to spin into your threaded bolt hole, then buy the sandwich adapter that fits your thread slope.
Next you would have to buy a remote oil filter kit and install it on the sandwich adapter then route the hoses so the oil enters the filter the way you want it to if the spin on oil filter doesn't work the correct direction, now if you do this remote setup, you only have to mess with it once, as from then on you only change the spin on oil filter, as you don't have to mess with the lower part anymore.
When I put my sandwich adapter on and connected the sensor, I got a surprise, my oil pressure was maxed on the gauge at an idle, it shows way more pressure when the sensor is mounted on the adapter than it does mounted on the side of the block, so I say if you do go this route, check the adapter for oil leaks a lot till you are sure there are no leaks, a 100psi is a lot of pressure.
Attachments
DSCN5559.JPG
DSCN5559.JPG (472.58 KiB) Viewed 5501 times
DSCN5560.JPG
DSCN5560.JPG (459.31 KiB) Viewed 5501 times
I know the voices are not real,
but they have some really good ideas.
Sailboat

Post by Sailboat »

Thx Plenzen: the problem with any adapter plate/remote mount is the threads on the engine, 21mm x 1.75, can't find a match. And a basic adapter plate does not match the oil flow direction on the SD-22 ( up/in to the filter thru the inside of the center bolt, and out thru "center" but around the outside of the center bolt.)

Thx Tom: Are you using a 51399 filter in that photo? I'll get the other info you needed in a week or two when I get back to my boat. Thx
TOYoung

Post by TOYoung »

Sailboat wrote:Thx Plenzen: the problem with any adapter plate/remote mount is the threads on the engine, 21mm x 1.75, can't find a match. And a basic adapter plate does not match the oil flow direction on the SD-22 ( up/in to the filter thru the inside of the center bolt, and out thru "center" but around the outside of the center bolt.)

Thx Tom: Are you using a 51399 filter in that photo? I'll get the other info you needed in a week or two when I get back to my boat. Thx
Yes, that's the 51399 filter in the photo.The adaptors sound a little sketchy. I think at this point, the original cannister is the 'devil I know'. With a drain below the cannister, it isn't that big a deal to change the 51399's. The real hassle is the draining of the oil. I have a tap and hose on the drain plug that I pump the old oil through. The process is slow and a bit messy but the cannister is sure. You can get a leak after a change but tightening does the trick.
I think I'll stick with it unless a sure solution comes along. Thanks everyone for this info.
Sailboat

Post by Sailboat »

waynosworld, I think your oil pressure sender may be mismatched to the gauge. Have you looked at that?
waynosworld

Post by waynosworld »

Sailboat wrote:waynosworld, I think your oil pressure sender may be mismatched to the gauge. Have you looked at that?
Same sender I had on the other engine, also the same gauge, it showed normal pressures on that engine, when I put this turbodiesel engine in the truck I used an extension coming out of the hole that had the dash light sender, it showed normal pressure there also, but it broke off while I was driving down the road, I am really lucky I didn't blow up the engine, I pulled into the store and got out of the truck and started walking into the store, I seen this huge line of oil on the ground and thought what car did that come from, I turned around and followed the line to my truck, it was me.
Anyway I got that broken off threaded piece out of the hole, put the original sender back in the hole, put 4 quarts of oil in the truck and drove it home hoping I didn't hurt the engine, I don't believe I did hurt it.
So then I bought one of these pancake oil filter adapters and installed it, I plugged all the holes in the adapter except the one that I put the sender in, started it up and rushed around to make sure there were not any oil leaks, got in the truck and seen the oil pressure was pegged at an idle when cold, it isn't pegged when warm, although it still shows way more pressure with the sender mounted in that pancake adapter.
Attachments
DSCN5565.JPG
DSCN5565.JPG (455.19 KiB) Viewed 5487 times
DSCN5564.JPG
DSCN5564.JPG (442.14 KiB) Viewed 5487 times
DSCN5522.JPG
DSCN5522.JPG (467.2 KiB) Viewed 5487 times
I know the voices are not real,
but they have some really good ideas.
Sailboat

Post by Sailboat »

Tom, was this what you wanted (See pics)? I think my set up is already like the one you are heading for. I wasn't able to measure anything, all the fittings are covered and no markings on that reinforced hose. The heat wrapped casting is what I think you were asking about, you can see it in the top right and top left of the photos. Size wise, your basically stuck with the wet muffler fitting size, then will have to bush it to fit the non-cooled (dry) part of the exhaust.
Attachments
2016-09-10 09.16.43.jpg
2016-09-10 09.16.43.jpg (713.43 KiB) Viewed 5378 times
MN4-33 exhaust.jpg
MN4-33 exhaust.jpg (554.5 KiB) Viewed 5378 times