IP diaphragm removal also, is there a gasket for the cover?

SD diesels were widely available in the US in the 1981-86 Datsun/Nissan 720 pickups, and in Canada through '87 in the D21 pickup.

Moderators: plenzen, Nissan_Ranger

cseger1

IP diaphragm removal also, is there a gasket for the cover?

Post by cseger1 »

I've got the back off my pump (in the truck) and I can't tell what's holding the diaphragm in. I don't have a spare so I want to be super careful getting this one out for cleaning. Is there a circlip or something that needs to come out? Also, has anybody got a source for these yet? I read the many threads and followed links but didn't see one. Thanks
Last edited by cseger1 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Christian
1981 720 SD22
waynosworld

Re: IP diaphragm removal

Post by waynosworld »

cseger1 wrote:I've got the back off my pump (in the truck) and I can't tell what's holding the diaphragm in. I don't have a spare so I want to be super careful getting this one out for cleaning. Is there a circlip or something that needs to come out? Also, has anybody got a source for these yet? I read the many threads and followed links but didn't see one. Thanks
Do you see where the clip would be in the attached photo.
Attachments
DSCN1236.JPG
DSCN1236.JPG (1.94 MiB) Viewed 5647 times
I know the voices are not real,
but they have some really good ideas.
cseger1

Post by cseger1 »

Aha, so I have to get behind it for removal. Can it be pushed open with the fuel lever or do you pry it with off a tool?
Christian
1981 720 SD22
cseger1

Post by cseger1 »

Also, my pump had no gasket whatsoever on the diaphragm cover. I'm guessing there is supposed to be one because vacuum right?
Christian
1981 720 SD22
handcannon

Post by handcannon »

cseger1 wrote: Also, has anybody got a source for these yet? I read the many threads and followed links but didn't see one. Thanks
Over a year ago I picked up a complete motor with transmission, radiator, air filter, etc. However, it did not come with the electrics needed to operate the mechanical injection pump controls (can't remember the name, but Toyota has a very similar system and calls it an EDIC).I have since then had it running briefly while setting on my shop floor and hooked up to my motor hoist for stability.

With this added confidence, I started looking here for a place to get a replacement diaphragm. Everything I found here was old, so I turned to IP rebuilders, and here is what I found. Oregon Fuel Injection out of Eugene, Oregon was able to find a diaphragm for me. I haven't taken my old diaphragm out for comparison, but from the pictures I found on this forum it appears to be correct.

Here's complete contact information:
Oregon Fuel Injection, Inc.
4036 W. 1st Ave.
Eugene, OR 97402
1-800-452-5055 or 541-485-1434
The guy in the parts department I talked to was Paul. He was kind enough to e-mail me a complete exploded parts diagram of the governor found on these inline injection pumps.

They apparently did not have it in stock, but knew where to get one from the East Coast as I was charged incoming freight as well as UPS to me. The part number is: 155020-7920 (Zexel number), and cost was $36.10, with all shipping added on for a total of $55.06.

Don