SD25 Starting problems

SD diesels were widely available in the US in the 1981-86 Datsun/Nissan 720 pickups, and in Canada through '87 in the D21 pickup.

Moderators: plenzen, Nissan_Ranger

richarddgr

SD25 Starting problems

Post by richarddgr »

I was finally able to get back to work on the SD25 engine that was hard starting and smoked like crazy when it did start. I checked pump timing alignment it was right on the mark. I decided to rotate the pump clockwise a little. It started much better less smoke. I rotated it the the fill extent of the slots, starts even better less smoke. The question is does anyone think I may be a tooth off on the timing gear? We are at 6000 feet here in Cheyenne.

thanks
Dick Edgar
Dick Edgar
DnJ Creations "in metal"
Cheyenne Wyo
plenzen

Re: SD25 Starting problems

Post by plenzen »

It may be, however it would have been really hard to start and been pretty noisy.

It's pretty easy to check. You may have to remove the power steering pump to gain full access to the cover.

Just for an FYI though, the gasket for the front cover is not available from Nissan any longer by itself so you may have to make one as it will no doubt break when you remove the cover.
Retired Pauly
Problem with being retired is that you never get a day off.
1987 D21-J SD25 KC
KJLGD21FN
waynosworld

Re: SD25 Starting problems

Post by waynosworld »

The only thing you can do is check to see if it is off a tooth by removing that gear cover and looking.
I know the voices are not real,
but they have some really good ideas.