wires off positive battery useable link

SD diesels were widely available in the US in the 1981-86 Datsun/Nissan 720 pickups, and in Canada through '87 in the D21 pickup.

Moderators: plenzen, Nissan_Ranger

byrdlova

wires off positive battery useable link

Post by byrdlova »

Hey ya'll, I have trouble getting my starter to work consistently .
The Large white and the smaller red out of the useable link seem to be the problem.
Any way to wire directly to starter bypassing main wire bundle - harness??
Have to use the screw driver across posts trick for now...ughh.
thanks for your time!!
Attachments
Photo on 8-4-17 at 9.38 PM #2.jpg
Photo on 8-4-17 at 9.38 PM #2.jpg (55.24 KiB) Viewed 3320 times
Photo on 8-4-17 at 9.38 PM #2.jpg
Photo on 8-4-17 at 9.38 PM #2.jpg (55.24 KiB) Viewed 3320 times
waynosworld

Re: wires off positive battery useable link

Post by waynosworld »

byrdlova wrote:Hey ya'll, I have trouble getting my starter to work consistently .
The Large white and the smaller red out of the useable link seem to be the problem.
Any way to wire directly to starter bypassing main wire bundle - harness??
Have to use the screw driver across posts trick for now...ughh.
thanks for your time!!
Make sure the nuts holding the battery cables on the starter solenoid are tight, also make sure the exciter wire is on the starter solenoid post firmly, these connections are my source of several headaches over the years, actually today my exciter wire fell off the starter at my second stop and the engine would not turn over till I figured it out, and since I have turbocharged my engines everything in that area is stinking hot and it is difficult to even get to the starter without getting burned by something.
I have also been down the road of using an aftermarket relay to activate the starter on these diesel trucks with an inline injection pump as there is not but one power wire in the engine bay I found that has power when the key is in the start and run positions, it is the windshield washer motor power wire, it's such a pain/complicated to wire up that I discourage it as it is hard to explain how to do unless you understand this wiring harness and how it works, fact is I don't remember all of it myself right now, and the DPC module makes it even harder to do as I bypassed all of that wiring when I installed a VE type injection pump several years ago.
You could just rig up a separate button for the starter, but I like the starter being activated using the key myself.
I know the voices are not real,
but they have some really good ideas.
waynosworld

Re: wires off positive battery useable link

Post by waynosworld »

Did this get figured out?
I know the voices are not real,
but they have some really good ideas.