SD22 5 speed into a 2000 Sonoma SLS

SD diesels were widely available in the US in the 1981-86 Datsun/Nissan 720 pickups, and in Canada through '87 in the D21 pickup.

Moderators: plenzen, Nissan_Ranger

waynosworld

Re: SD22 5 speed into a 2000 Sonoma SLS

Post by waynosworld » 7 months ago

You mounted yours like the bomb with turbo thread guy did, I could not mount mine that far back or that low, just no room.
I would suggest some kind of turbocharger support bracket either underneath or on the top.
I know the voices are not real,
but they have some really good ideas.

buckshot

Post by buckshot » 7 months ago

Yes, your right about the support......It will be directly under the turbo and bolted to the stationary part of the motor mount.....Working on reworking the dash gauge cluster today.....
fitting in the autometer old time speedo and tack with stewart werner manifold pressure, pyro, oil pressure, water temp and fuel. I know the cluster will be full within the Sonoma
stock dash but it should work out well.....pics to follow.....some day......
Take time to smell the roses before you end up under them ! ! !

Road rage can be hazardous to your health ! ! !

buckshot

Post by buckshot » 4 months ago

Greetings folks,
A question I have is were there any fuel pumps necessary on the SD 22 other than the main injector fuel pump on the block? Was it necessary to have an electric lift pump to feed the main injector pump and if so what would be the recommended fuel pressure rating on the pump ? Thanks
Have fun
buckshot
Take time to smell the roses before you end up under them ! ! !

Road rage can be hazardous to your health ! ! !

handcannon

Post by handcannon » 4 months ago

I don't think there was any other fuel pump besides the one on the IP. Although, I have been contemplating using an electric fuel (lift) pump like the GM diesel used on the 1994 Chevy and using it just to make it easier to prime the fuel system as needed. I know for a fact that the GM diesel with an eIectric fuel pump is easy to prime as I have a 94 K2500. I am reasonably sure it is about 3psi and for sure it will still flow fuel if the pump fails (will flow through it when the pump is not operating). Apparently the electric pump GM used in 1994 was the best used for all the years that they used an electric fuel pump (the first year that GM put an electronic IP on their diesel).

Wayno will probably be on here soon and he will know for sure about the fuel pump.

Don

waynosworld

Post by waynosworld » 3 months ago

As far as I know the only fuel pump needed on the SD22 engine with an inline injection pump is the lift pump on the side of the injection pump, I expect having an electric pump would not hurt it, but I don't know this, it is just a guess.
I have an SD22 engine(rebuilt) with a VE type pump(rotary type/not rebuilt) that I drove for maybe 50 miles, that VE injection pump was sorta wore out and ran slightly better with an electric fuel pump assist, the fuel all drained back into the tank when it was not running so the electric fuel pump kept that from happening also, I really didn't do much with that engine as I soon bought that SD25 powered Volvo wagon that had the turbocharger on it and I pulled the SD22 out and I installed that, that was the beginning of my 2/3 year turbocharger experimentation era.
I know the voices are not real,
but they have some really good ideas.