RWD SD25 in Canadian winter?

SD diesels were widely available in the US in the 1981-86 Datsun/Nissan 720 pickups, and in Canada through '87 in the D21 pickup.

Moderators: plenzen, Nissan_Ranger

waynosworld

Re: RWD SD25 in Canadian winter?

Post by waynosworld »

I will likely try a glow plug relay and a button for this heater.
Did I read it right when what you wrote said that the heater needs to be on a minimum of 2 minutes, is this for it to heat up or is there another reason?
I know the voices are not real,
but they have some really good ideas.
plenzen

Post by plenzen »

Even if you used just in the winter. Not too hard to install and remove. Let us know.

Paul
Retired Pauly
Problem with being retired is that you never get a day off.
1987 D21-J SD25 KC
KJLGD21FN
waynosworld

Post by waynosworld »

I actually bought 2 different types, the one you bought and had the round end machined off, and another one that is already flat on both sides.
I am not sure how much room I have under the hood on my 521, the hose is not rubbing the hood right now, but it may rub 3/4" higher.
plenzen

Post by plenzen »

Mine just clears by about 3/4 inch. That little guy you got may be pretty close. I laid a piece of 1x1 on the top of the air cleaner and closed the hood "carefully".
Retired Pauly
1987 D21-J SD25 KC
KJLGD21FN
waynosworld

Post by waynosworld »

My Datsun 521 kingcab engine compartment is likely a little tighter than your D21.
DSCN6964.jpg
DSCN6964.jpg (201.72 KiB) Viewed 5712 times
That blue elbow is close to the hood right now, not sure if I have another 3/4" left, I may have to change things or put the heater between the turbocharger and the blue elbow, it doesn't look like the photo above anymore, it now is like the photo below, I replaced the ABS tubing with aluminum tubing from a hangglider that I scrapped because it was not air worthy anymore.
007.JPG
007.JPG (815.65 KiB) Viewed 5712 times
plenzen

Post by plenzen »

I see what you mean. The closer to the engine the better, however where you can make it fit I guess is worth a try.
Retired Pauly
1987 D21-J SD25 KC
KJLGD21FN
waynosworld

Post by waynosworld »

I expect I can trim that blue elbow some to get a little lower but not likely 3/4", this engine of mine turned out to run so well that I don't really want to change anything that cannot be reversed, the difference the turbocharger made is so dramatic, but I would like to drive it year round and it don't like starting below 40 degrees, and at 32 degrees and below it don't try at all.

The Dodge Cummins has a double air heater element, they are rated at 100 amps each, I am starting to wonder what the glow plug relay I planned to use is rated for, I have searched for the specs of the Yanmar air heater element and found nothing.

This is sort of a thread jacking, but it is useful info about what one can do to keep the engine starting/running year round.
plenzen

Post by plenzen »

I kinda of copied Ford with mine and use a relay to fire a relay. I got a continuous duty starter relay/solenoid and hooked the load side of the heater to it and use the glow relay to fire that continuous duty solenoid.
I think the Yanmar draws around 15 amps IIRC. Up until a couple years ago I drove my SD25 year round from +28C to -32C.
It "cackles" a bit when it's really cold but as stated previoisly, once its been started and warmed up its pretty good for the rest of the day, even after sitting a couple hours @ - 20c.
Retired Pauly
1987 D21-J SD25 KC
KJLGD21FN
plenzen

Post by plenzen »

waynosworld wrote: 4 years ago I will likely try a glow plug relay and a button for this heater.
Did I read it right when what you wrote said that the heater needs to be on a minimum of 2 minutes, is this for it to heat up or is there another reason?
I must have missed this posting.

If I wrote 2 minutes I certainly didn't mean to.

The procedure I use ( because it's hooked into my glow system)

I turn the key on and let the glow plugs AND the heater come on at the same time. I allow the glow plugs to then switch to "slow glow"
I shut the key off and then press the bypass button that cycles the heater on for another 10 seconds and it allows the timer that switched to slow glow to cool down and reset.
I then turn the key back on and the heater and glow plugs come back on to " quick glow" and once they switch to "slow glow" the second time I crank the engine. It starts and the plugs stay at slow glow and the heater stays on until they all time out. The added heat from the heater helps to smooth out the cold idle much faster than just the slow glow itself.

Hope that makes sense.
I can tell the quick glow and the slow glow from a light on the dash I installed. It's brighter with the quick glow as it's a full 12V and slow glow is around 8 or 9. The relay and bypass button I installed allows the heater to just be on full power all the time the glow system is on, be it in quick glow or slow glow.

If before you install the heater you just hook it to a battery you will see how long it take before the elements start to glow red. It isn't very long,
about 8 -10 seconds at the most.

Paul
Retired Pauly
1987 D21-J SD25 KC
KJLGD21FN
waynosworld

Post by waynosworld »

I have a slow glow system in both my trucks right now, when it is really cold outside the warm up time for the glow plugs is close to a minute, it was 43 degrees when I started the truck today with it not being plugged in, it started alright but smoked a lot till all the cylinders were hitting, it then just idles rough till it is warmed up or I adjust the idle higher with the idle adjustment cable.

I started using a different way to start the truck recently, I used to floor the pedal till it hit and then let off, now I just keep it floored till it is actually running, now understand I don't keep it floored if it goes over 2000rpms, I let off when it gets that high as it is hitting/running good enough to stay running if I let completely off the pedal, this way seems to be working better, I don't have to re-start it 2 or 3 times this way.

I do have a 1985 Nissan 720 wiring harness that is Canadian spec, it is different than my earlier harnesses, but it seems to act the same and I believe it is what you call slow glow but I don't know it as I didn't own it that long, but when that engine was in my 720 dually it acted and started the way all my other diesel trucks, it didn't burn up the glow plugs so I just assumed it was the slow glow, it had an inline injection pump.
The guy that owned it before me used veggie oil and a heater with a one gallon diesel tank under the hood with a valve, he also modified the wiring harness, I don't know what he did to it as i just removed the engine/transmission, wiring harness, and everything else of value and scrapped the truck, that engine is the one I overheated that has the slightly bent rod, it never had the power my other SD25 engines have(no turbocharger).

I will pick your brain more after I get the air heater element installed, I normally will get my modification working, then after a short amount of time I will start trying to improve it so that anyone could get in it and start it and drive it without screwing anything up, that is why I would never use a toggle switch to heat the air heater element as it could be left on by accident, it will have to be like yours(automatically shuts off) or a button.
plenzen

Post by plenzen »

Pretty lean pickins on this brain but I will try.

This D21 I have is all controlled by however the pixies they managed to capture in the tiny black box under the drivers seat and the wizardry of the relay and resistor array under the hood.
My trusty Fluke meter managed to track down some clues and I went from there being careful not to allow the magic smoke to escape from that "unattainably rare expensive box" under the drivers seat.

This Quick glow,/ Slow Glow system has a number of components beyond the magic box under the seat eg:resistor/temp sensor installed into the intake manifold and a temp sensor installed into the thermostat housing that controls how long it will slow glow etc.
Seems to work however
Retired Pauly
1987 D21-J SD25 KC
KJLGD21FN
waynosworld

Post by waynosworld »

OK, in this photo you have the part that your air filter housing connects to on top of the air heater element, that part is just a hollow tube leading to the intake manifold, correct?

http://asavage.dyndns.org/Nissan/720/Ow ... 51_9_b.JPG
Attachments
image.png
image.png (1.55 MiB) Viewed 5667 times
waynosworld

Post by waynosworld »

I have received both the air heater elements, I am going to use my 521 kingcab thread to discuss it further.
http://nissandiesel.dyndns.org/viewtopi ... 513#p24513
007.JPG
007.JPG (167.52 KiB) Viewed 5654 times
010.JPG
010.JPG (166.28 KiB) Viewed 5654 times
plenzen

Post by plenzen »

waynosworld wrote: 4 years ago OK, in this photo you have the part that your air filter housing connects to on top of the air heater element, that part is just a hollow tube leading to the intake manifold, correct?

http://asavage.dyndns.org/Nissan/720/Ow ... 51_9_b.JPG

That is the entire throttle body. It has the butterfly in it. If you remove the heater under that piece that is what was in the truck. I simply put the heater under it.
Retired Pauly
1987 D21-J SD25 KC
KJLGD21FN
waynosworld

Post by waynosworld »

How can yours have a butterfly in it, your throttle cable goes to the injection pump, as you have a VE type injection pump, correct?

That throttle body i see in your photo doesn't have the throttle cable connection that mine has with the Vacuum activated throttle, nor does yours have the vacuum hose connection that goes to the injection pump, below are photos what I have, yours should be a hole straight down into the intake manifold if you have a VE type injection pump, other wise what operates the butterfly?
011.JPG
011.JPG (167.09 KiB) Viewed 5646 times
012.JPG
012.JPG (168.07 KiB) Viewed 5646 times