RWD SD25 in Canadian winter?

SD diesels were widely available in the US in the 1981-86 Datsun/Nissan 720 pickups, and in Canada through '87 in the D21 pickup.

Moderators: plenzen, Nissan_Ranger

Good Crem

RWD SD25 in Canadian winter?

Post by Good Crem »

Hey guys, just wondering how the 720 I described in the title would perform in the winter 😬, would it even reliably start? It would be an 85’.

Thanks
waynosworld

Re: RWD SD25 in Canadian winter?

Post by waynosworld »

I suppose it would depend on where in Canada you are, does it have a block heater, do you park it inside a warm place or outside.
I live in Vancouver WA USA, if it is below the mid 40 degree mark my engines get a lot harder to start, I have block heaters but I am semi retired now so I don't normally plan to start my diesels at a certain time anymore so I do not use timers to warm them up an hour before I plan to start the engine.
If it is below 40 degrees I just use my trucks with gas engines, they start a lot easier without any prep.
I have read that guys on here start their diesels way below freezing, I have read some below zero Fahrenheit, but they use things like heat guns to warm the air up in the intake, and other such tricks.
I know the voices are not real,
but they have some really good ideas.
Good Crem

Post by Good Crem »

waynosworld wrote: 4 years ago I suppose it would depend on where in Canada you are, does it have a block heater, do you park it inside a warm place or outside.
I live in Vancouver WA USA, if it is below the mid 40 degree mark my engines get a lot harder to start, I have block heaters but I am semi retired now so I don't normally plan to start my diesels at a certain time anymore so I do not use timers to warm them up an hour before I plan to start the engine.
If it is below 40 degrees I just use my trucks with gas engines, they start a lot easier without any prep.
I have read that guys on here start their diesels way below freezing, I have read some below zero Fahrenheit, but they use things like heat guns to warm the air up in the intake, and other such tricks.
I’m in Montreal so it gets really hot and humid in the summer and really cold in the winter, the worst of both worlds!
waynosworld

Post by waynosworld »

Well for the winter you will need a block heater, it is not going to want to start when it is really cold, you may need hot air going down the intake also, I have heard about guys on this forum that go that route also, I do not know if they also have block heaters, when you start talking about minus temps I don't go anywhere in a diesel, not sure I would go anywhere in a gas vehicle either, that is just too cold for me.
If you have a heated garage park it in there if it is a daily driver, just don't let it cool off anyplace else until you understand the engine and how it starts in all conditions.
Like I said before, below 50 degrees I use a block heater to start my diesels or drive my gas vehicles as they will start.
plenzen

Post by plenzen »

For sure a block heater. Be careful of indexing the element correctly in the frost plug hole. An air heater would be a good idea. There is a thread on this item.
memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=1422
I was advised a long time ago by a long time Nissan Service guy "At minus 10c it will not go". He was absolutely correct. Without the air intake heater it WILL NOT START if not plugged in. I have had good success in starting at -20c after a 10 hr cold soak using the air heater. It takes 3 or4 tries but it goes. Without the air heater not a chance.
Block heater plugged in and it will start right up with no issues.
Also,,,,,,,,,,once its been started and brought up to temp it will restart with no issues even after 2 hours cold soak.
Bonne chance

P
Retired Pauly
Problem with being retired is that you never get a day off.
1987 D21-J SD25 KC
KJLGD21FN
waynosworld

Post by waynosworld »

Where did you mount your "air intake heater" plenzen?
I searched it and there are a couple different types, which type you have, do you have a link?
Is it permanently mounted on your truck, or is it remote?
plenzen

Post by plenzen »

http://nissandiesel.dyndns.org/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1427

Just checked in. Link above I hope will work. Its what I thought I posted the first time.

Edit:
I have it hooked into the regular glow system with a bypass button to fire the heater on its own. Typically when its -10c or colder I press the manual button to fire the heater, then cycle the glow plugs once and crank. If it does not keep running I hold the manual button for 10 secs, and cycle the glow system again and it will go. Once the engine has been up to temp it will start easily the rest of the day even after a 90 minute cold soak at -20c.

Paul.
Retired Pauly
1987 D21-J SD25 KC
KJLGD21FN
waynosworld

Post by waynosworld »

What did you mean by "restrict the air flow slightly", is the hole in the heater smaller than the hole in the intake manifold/throttle chamber?
I am very interested in this, but my diesel engines are both turbocharged and I don't want the flow restricted by having to step down into a smaller throat hole, especially on the 521 turbodiesel, I like the way it drives right now, I just would like it to start easier when it is cold outside.
Maybe my issue is the glow plugs, the 720 starts easier.
plenzen

Post by plenzen »

With the area that the heater elements take up and how they are fastened by the power/ground connections. The square hole down the center is the same, but fill it up with all that and you lose a bit of area. It really made no difference to mine that I could tell as it was pretty anemic to begin with.
I think the SD22 intake opening is a bit smaller than the 25 and as I recall there was someone on here made an adapter to accommodate it, but for the SD ,25 that I have I just needed 4 1/2 inch spacers to raise the throttle body up. The thickness of the heater basically. Had to fudge the hose off the back of the rocker cover a bit too but that was easy.
I will look around on the forum a bit more as their are some photos I posted of the heater. I have a part number here as well if you decide this is what you want.
I'll edit in what I find.

Paul
Retired Pauly
1987 D21-J SD25 KC
KJLGD21FN
waynosworld

Post by waynosworld »

I found this one(used) on ebay, is this the one you have?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/129100-77500-G ... SwcOZcCUqQ

Also did you cut off that part that sticks out into the intake manifold or did you leave it sticking out?
plenzen

Post by plenzen »

That is the same as the original one I had and had a machine shop cut that snorkel piece off. The make one without that. I will get you the part number off the box. I have a spare.

Edit,:

129100-77500 air heater. It is actually made by NGK according to marking on the unit
Retired Pauly
1987 D21-J SD25 KC
KJLGD21FN
waynosworld

Post by waynosworld »

I see now that some have square holes and others are square on one side and round on the other side.
plenzen

Post by plenzen »

They also have a copper gasket for them
129100-77510. I did not use it and ran a separate ground wire to the heater.
Retired Pauly
1987 D21-J SD25 KC
KJLGD21FN
plenzen

Post by plenzen »

There is a"sub number" on this one I have here printed on the body below the part number.
A1048 and beside the NGK Spark Company is 578

This one is just a square block.
Retired Pauly
1987 D21-J SD25 KC
KJLGD21FN
waynosworld

Post by waynosworld »

I am taking a chance, I bought that used one on ebay and I am going to try and make it work.
It is the round type, we shall see if it works.