starting problem

SD diesels were widely available in the US in the 1981-86 Datsun/Nissan 720 pickups, and in Canada through '87 in the D21 pickup.

Moderators: plenzen, Nissan_Ranger

Grumoly

starting problem

Post by Grumoly »

Hello all. Am new to the forum but have found it helpful so far.
I recently purchased a 1987 nissan sd25 truck. Is in great shape for the age. Bought it sight unseen in BC and had the guy deliver half way so I drove 3 hours to pick it up. Checked all fluids and drove it home 200km. Ran great. Loads of power (compared to my old 68 vw van lol).
Calculated 46mpg imperial! Driving at 80 to 100km. First tank always seems best...
struck has new injectors but still hard to start if not plugged in.
Glow plug light comes on for 2 seconds. If I put a test light on #3 gp it glows bright for 2 sec max and then stays on very dim. Is this to do with the computer?
Is it best to just bypass with a manual relay?

Thanks for any help.
waynosworld

Re: starting problem

Post by waynosworld »

The SD25 diesel engines had everything wired into everything, it gets confusing sometimes.
Is your diesel alternator working properly, it has a vacuum pump on the back of it for the power brake booster?
You could try another glow plug timer.
You could also just remove the stock wire on the glow plug relay and use a button(not a switch that can be left on by accident) to warm up the glow plugs, you should only have to hold it on for around 20/30 seconds, but in the end it would be nice to figure out what is wrong.
I know the voices are not real,
but they have some really good ideas.
handcannon

Post by handcannon »

Wayno is the SD diesel guru here.

For your glow plugs it sounds like you might have the quick glow system. If so, be very careful as the tips of the glow plugs could get too large to be easily removed from the head if you glow too long. I will go with what Wayno says you have, but the type of glow plugs should be checked out very carefully as there are two types of glow plugs, standard and quick glow.

Don
waynosworld

Post by waynosworld »

I don't know about being a guru, but I have done just about everything wrong at some point and I learned not to do it again.
I had a parts place sell me the wrong glow plugs once, I was having issues with it starting so I bought new glow plugs, that engine never started that easily ever before and it has never started that easily since, it smoked the glow plugs because they were the fast type, it also blew up the ends of the glow plugs like balloons, I was so lucky to get them out of there, I had to use vice grips to get them out and none of them broke off inside the head, I was so lucky.
The fusible links can also be a source for major headaches, I found that I had a fusible link connection issue at the plug connected to the battery, it messed everything up including the glow plug light, the engine would not start unless I removed the control arm from the injection pump, but once it started the control arm moved to the run position and when I turned the key off it shut the engine down, but it would not start again unless I removed the arm, this also had another side effect, the alternator would not charge the battery, once I figured out what the issue was all was well again.
The same diesel truck had another issue that I have never been able to figure out, my engine would not start with the oil light sensor plugged in unless I removed the control arm from the injection pump, the engine starts right up without that wire connected, so I eventually decided I was never going to figure that one out as i replaced everything without any positive results, so I put a electrical oil gauge in that truck and have had no issues since, but I have no low oil pressure light anymore, how I put an oil gauge on the diesel engine is a story in itself, I believe that is all covered in my 720 thread.
http://nissandiesel.dyndns.org/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=3474
handcannon

Post by handcannon »

Wayno, even if you don't consider yourself a guru you ARE very knowledgeable about the SD series of diesel motors.

Don
plenzen

Post by plenzen »

Little late to this party.
Sounds like you have the same truck as mine if it is a D21. If it is ,then it will have the VE style fuel pump with the CSD on it and the quick glow/after glow plugs. This system was very much like the diesel Maxima glow system.
I bought a set of Delphi HDS283 glow plugs and have not had an issue with them like I did with the NGKs. They have been in for 10+years now and still work perfectly. I also added an air heater to it as well and that has greatly improved the cold start issues they all seemed to have.
There is a posting under members rigs with all the mods and some pictures of what I did.
Truck is about to roll 400 k now and is sadly starting to show its age,that said, still runs like a champ.

Here is the link

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1427
Retired Pauly
Problem with being retired is that you never get a day off.
1987 D21-J SD25 KC
KJLGD21FN
Grumoly

Post by Grumoly »

Thanks for all the input.
So sounds like i should try to set up a manual glow button? I have one just not sure how to hook it up.
If they are the fast plugs how long should i hold for?
waynosworld

Post by waynosworld »

If you have the rotary VE type pump then yours is very different than mine, does your ignition light work in the dash(turn the key on and the light is on, start it and the light goes out), I have a volt gauge and when I turned the key on my glow plug light did the same thing, on my truck it turned out to be the plug on the back of the alternator had come out, the truck would not start unless I removed the injection pump control rod.
I also had an issue with the fusible link plug on the positive battery post that did the same thing, at some point the black plug with the 4 wires had melted a little and one of the side connections of the 3 prong plug was not making a connection, again the alternator was not charging.
I am not saying either of these issues are your issue, but it is something you can check, also check your fusible links themselves, make sure they are good.
Grumoly

Post by Grumoly »

Thanks.
Dash light comes o. For 3-4 sec.
If i cycle it lots it will start if not too cold.
Charging system is good.
Put test light to glow bar and shows high voltage for 3 secs then low voltage.
waynosworld

Post by waynosworld »

It would be better if you could figure out what is wrong with it, but if using a button activating the glow plug relay manually will get you on the road............