3 1982 720s with sd22

SD diesels were widely available in the US in the 1981-86 Datsun/Nissan 720 pickups, and in Canada through '87 in the D21 pickup.

Moderators: plenzen, Nissan_Ranger

drewden

3 1982 720s with sd22

Post by drewden »

I am looking for help with what I should do with them. I don't have time to restore them. one is drive able (regular cab), one was rolled over but has running engine (king cab) took the trans out for running truck, other i'm not sure if it runs but there is no trans (king cab) all have rust bad some worse the others should I sell the motors and if so what should i look for in price. I can post pics if wanted.

Thanks for any help.
If this is posted in the wrong area sorry just point me in the right direction .
waynosworld

Re: 3 1982 720s with sd22

Post by waynosworld »

It would help if we knew your location.

The 720 diesel truck with a SD22 diesel engine is not a popular truck, it gets good fuel mileage and has the torque of a similar gas engine so it is great around town, but it doesn't have a lot of HP so freeways can be aggravating at times, especially around passes, it takes a certain type/driver to appreciate its good qualities, therefore buyers are few and far between.
The transmission is the most important part, more specifically the diesel transmission front case is the most important part, they are hard to find and everyone wants them, other diesel guys want them and early Datsun Roadster guys want them as that front case fits the R16/U20 engines, making it possible to use a cheap 5spd from other Datsun cars/trucks that had them in that transmission era, as Roadster 5spds are very expensive.

The transmissions are more sought after than the SD22 engines are, if you had an SD25 it would be a different story as they are rare enough to attract some attention, but again it would help to know where you are located(state/city).
I know the voices are not real,
but they have some really good ideas.
drewden

Post by drewden »

Western North Dakota I do have 2 trannys one is in the running and one that fifth gear is out
waynosworld

Post by waynosworld »

It's the transmission front cases that are wanted, so as long as the front case is good that can be sold, Roadster guys will likely pay a couple hundred for a case.
Where you live is not Nissan country, all I can suggest is putting all on craigslist or the like and hope for the best, sometimes a WVO diesel guy will reply to an ad, but they tend to be cheap otherwise they would not go thru the effort to use WVO to power their diesel engine, I believe there are a few Datsun/Nissan diesel guys in ND, maybe a craigslist ad will find them.
I know the voices are not real,
but they have some really good ideas.
drewden

Post by drewden »

Thanks for the help