Welcome to Nissan Diesel SD-series FAQs

SD diesels were widely available in the US in the 1981-86 Datsun/Nissan 720 pickups, and in Canada through '87 in the D21 pickup.

Moderators: plenzen, Nissan_Ranger

philip
Deceased

Welcome to Nissan Diesel SD-series FAQs

Post by philip »

Welcome to the Nissan SD22 forum. :D

The focus here is the SD family of four cylinder DIESEL engines that powered a few U.S. Datsun / Nissan 720 pickup trucks beginning in 1981 and ending in 1986. The SD23 & SD25 engines also found there way into 720 trucks as well as marine / industrial applications throughout the world.

Since every engine has other systems related to it, you will find some threads that are not specifically about the engine, ie the transmission or suspension. Those discussions will be found/moved to the next forum titled "SD-powered 720 Pickup support systems".

Al and I highly recommend that you acquire a genuine factory service manual for all its unique data not found in the likes of Haynes or Chilton. These forums and threads therein will suppliment and flesh out information found only in the FSM. FSM's on ebay for sale

Light blue and usually underlined words or phrases are clickable links to other relevant forum posts.

In a forum like this, there are Frequently Asked Questions from visitors, new members, and those having recently acquired one of these SD22 powered trucks asking "I just got this diesel pickup ... what should I get changed and adjusted right away?"

To that end, you will find some thread titles in * ALL CAPITAL LETTERS *. This will indicate a thread that qualifies as a FAQ & Answer most often asked by new owners. (Otherwise I have to write an exhaustive quick start guide of Things You Need To Know Now that would not be ... so quick).

If you are sure there is not already an existing thread on your subject that you could simply add your question to, then please start a new thread and pose your question. (There are THREE pages of thread titles & this forum has SEARCH capability)

If you find something obviously wrong (or merely a typo), please email me via this website's Private Message feature located near the top of every page and address it to me: "philip".

Thank you :D

From Al ... Please take a minute and click on the "Profile" button at the top of any page, add your location (Portland, Ore or Portland, ME), and the year/model of your rig to the "Signature" block? It will prevent people from asking for this info over and over.
-Philip
Passed 08May2008
My friend, you are missed . . .

1982 Datsun 720KC SD-22

"Im slow and I'm ahead of you"