This is The Bomb ... with Turbo!

SD diesels were widely available in the US in the 1981-86 Datsun/Nissan 720 pickups, and in Canada through '87 in the D21 pickup.

Moderators: plenzen, Nissan_Ranger

macorti

Post by macorti »

Knucklehead wrote:Either:
1.) Get the RLD governor from the turbocharged SD33T which will fit the pump perfectly,
2.) Get the RSV governor from a forklift model and modify it,
3.) Adapt a rotary pump from an SD25 (or any other pump for that matter)
4.) Modify the existing RBD-MZ governor to to be mechanical.
I think that the most attractive to me are #1 and #3, do you know where is easy to get an SD33T IP?

And what's RSV and RBD-MZ?
Macorti TD42
Knucklehead

Post by Knucklehead »

Best guess for the RLD? Ebay. I haven't been shopping in a while.

The RSV is from forklift and industrial versions of the motor. It has large flyweights that govern the crank rpm to 2200. Tractor Puller has one on his as can be seen here. The RBD-MZ is the one I have, and I think you have.

If you upgrade to a newer, higher pressure pump (a wonderful idea), you should also use matching injectors.

A pump guy told me $900us to make mine mechanical. I'm sure I would love it, but I can neither afford it nor justify it. Even if I could afford it I would still try to do something on my own. But that is me. I don't think it's that big a deal, I just have had no time or money.
'82 standard cab 3 axle SD22 turbo
'89 int'l 9700 Cummins 444 (855 ci)
'29 HD FD export model
macorti

Post by macorti »

Knucklehead wrote:Best guess for the RLD? Ebay. I haven't been shopping in a while.

The RSV is from forklift and industrial versions of the motor. It has large flyweights that govern the crank rpm to 2200. Tractor Puller has one on his as can be seen here. The RBD-MZ is the one I have, and I think you have.

If you upgrade to a newer, higher pressure pump (a wonderful idea), you should also use matching injectors.

A pump guy told me $900us to make mine mechanical. I'm sure I would love it, but I can neither afford it nor justify it. Even if I could afford it I would still try to do something on my own. But that is me. I don't think it's that big a deal, I just have had no time or money.
Oh I see !!! It seems that I have 2 options right now, and both are change the inline for a VE.
Phil helped me clear out some doubts in regards it, but it seems that comparing the amount of job and time with trying to get the SD33T governor and changing it for the vac one is almost nothing against the VE change.

Something else I want to know is how did you know or verified that the SD33T governor fits perfectly in my pump without doing any changes or mods? Don't get me wrong with the question is just and I want to know it.
Macorti TD42
Knucklehead

Post by Knucklehead »

I have various pumps and governors. The pumps are all essentially the same except for the number of cylinders. Any of the various governors fit any of the various pumps.
'29 HD FD export model
macorti

Post by macorti »

Knucklehead wrote:I have various pumps and governors. The pumps are all essentially the same except for the number of cylinders. Any of the various governors fit any of the various pumps.
Oh ok I understand, and do you know where I can get an SD33T governor or IP from?
Macorti TD42
Knucklehead

Post by Knucklehead »

I don't.
'29 HD FD export model
macorti

Post by macorti »

Knucklehead wrote:I don't.
Ok, thanks man.....
Macorti TD42
macorti

Post by macorti »

Hi Guys,

I was reading this thread I think that Phil told me about it some time ago. Well I just want to share it with you guys to know what do you think about it. I just spoke with the owner and he told that this has been working very well and he hasn't had any issues like what I had or others.

He also gave me this diagram for me to follow it.

The information bellow is a quick overview about what the owner answered me to some of my questions.

1) I have never had either issue you had. In the beginning, I had problems where I couldn't control speed because there was no fuel control, so now basically what I have done is limit the amount of boost the rear of the fuel pump sees. I don't know how they are set up on GQ's, but if you can send me a few pictures I may be able to help. The way mine is, if I feed more boost to the rear of the pump, it reduces fueling, if I reduce boost it increases fueling. This rear section of the diaphragm is fed boost from the intake manifold, through a manual boost controller from inside the cabin, so I can adjust fueling.

The front of the diaphragm, closest to the IP, is fed boost and vacuum from the throttle body, i also have a boost gauge in this line to see how much boost the IP is seeing depending on the position of the accelerator pedal. I have the throttle body attached to the intake manifold, so the turbo blows air through it. With this setup, all I required was fine tuning of the boost controller to keep egt's in a safe range. I also have an egt gauge, this would be a must for this setup as you need to keep them below 550ºC as you may destroy the motor if you don't.

I had to redrill the throttle body to fit, but you shouldn't have to do anything to yours.

2)Those pics help a fair bit. on mine, the hose that goes from the rear most section of the pump, ran to the air filter housing. the one closest to the pump outlets went to the throttle body. it looks like it is the opposite way around on your setup.

never the less, there's no reason it won't work the same. i'm not sure how the gq pumps are set up, but basically, if you feed boost from the inlet manifold into that front hose on the ip, via a manual boost controller, if you can, get one that has a t piece you can fit into the like and a remote adjuster inside the cab, this is so it will still idle properly as the t piece has a ball bearing inside it to stop vacuum revving the engine up when you take your foot off the pedal.

this would be the issue you were having in the beginning because the pump had too much vacuum on it. i haven't got any pictures of mine at the moment and it's dark here so i can't get any, but get a manual boost controller with an in cabin controller, they are pretty cheap off ebay, run a hose from the inlet manifold somewhere (if you have another hose going to something run a t off that) and then run that through the boost controller t and to the ip. you may have to drill and tap a hole and screw a brass hose barb or something similar into the manifold

I have attached a very average picture of what i mean, if you can't figure it out, I will try and explain it a bit better...

Macorti TD42
Knucklehead

Post by Knucklehead »

No thanks. A very complicated way to get a simple thing done and it still leaves the throttle body. The way I have it is the best way if keeping the TB, and it can work well (has been for years), but the idea is to get rid of it for best performance.
'29 HD FD export model
macorti

Post by macorti »

Well yes, you are right, and I think that the main idea here is to get some boost for the vent line.

But do you think that by having the boost regulated for the vent line will bring some advantage or there's no sense?
Macorti TD42
Glegor

Post by Glegor »

what engine do you get a Bosch VE pump like whats on a VW? how hard are they to come by?
plenzen

Post by plenzen »

Later models of the SD 25 ( 1986 - 1987 ) that were fitted in the D21 pick ups had the VE style pump although they are a Kiki

Paul
Retired Pauly
Problem with being retired is that you never get a day off.
1987 D21-J SD25 KC
KJLGD21FN
Dale

Post by Dale »

Zombie thread!

I'm fixing up a 720 sd22 diesel, and was googling around at the turbo possibilities when I found this.

That TB looks like a nasty restriction, even NA, removing it looks to be a good idea. How about using a small vacuum pump to provide suction on the diaphragm, through an orifice, with a small atmo bypass valve connected to the throttle pedal plumbed between the orifice and the diaphragm. That way, at idle the vacuum pump would pull the rack closed against the idle screw, and as you opened the bypass valve the vacuum would drop to near 0, opening the rack till it hits the smoke setscrew. Manual control, without modifying the IP or compromising the idle or max rpm and max fuel control systems.
chevy43

Post by chevy43 »

Dale,

I wouldn't turbo a sd22. I have seen so many cracked pistions in the SD33T's. The piston design is prone to cracking under any kind of load. They seem to last quite well without the turbo.

I just enjoy my little Datsun 720 diesel and the 35 mpg it gets on the highway.

I have indestructable Cummins engines for performance.
82 720 Diesel
Dale

Post by Dale »

Even on an n/a i would think this mod would improve airflow on this poor starved engine. As far a turbos go, several people online seen to be running a few psi without incident, at near stock fuel levels. It'd be nice just to help it breathe to drop egt a bit.

That said, turbos aren't cheap, I'll probably save up for a tdi->yota swap instead.

Any comments on my idea to eliminate the tb restriction on the sd22, na or boosted?