This is The Bomb ... with Turbo!

SD diesels were widely available in the US in the 1981-86 Datsun/Nissan 720 pickups, and in Canada through '87 in the D21 pickup.

Moderators: plenzen, Nissan_Ranger

Zarghareth

Post by Zarghareth »

Awesome! Thanks for the information! Did you have to send them technical drawings of the gasket or did you just tell them what engine it was for?
elboss

Post by elboss »

Just send the engine code, and if he need some information he ask you ;) send regrats from me :P
Zarghareth

Post by Zarghareth »

Great! Thanks for your help!
dn29626

Post by dn29626 »

elboss

Thank you for your input here.
I speak and read english only, cannot read the links post.

Guys

Somewhere i read that a SD23 gasket will work. I understand it incorporates metal, therefore could be considered a beefed-up SD22 gasket.
82 King Cab 2wd (nice)
82 Reg Cab (body damage)
Anderson , SC
Since Fall 2009
elboss

Post by elboss »

Company Details
Eurojuntas - Manufacture of Gaskets for Engines Unipessoal Ltd
Poligno Indústrial Alto do Ameal - Pav. G5
Ameal
2565-641 Ramalhal
Budget Request
recommend
description
The Eurojuntas manufactures gaskets and other seals , standard , bespoke , reinforced according to the requirement of the engine.
261 912 026
261 912 026
eurojuntas@gmail.com

presentation
Gallery

EUROJUNTAS

Joints for vehicles, tractors , trucks , industrial machines , agriculas , forklifts , compressors , cold engines , bikes , motorcycles , marine engines , chainsaws , shapes , boilers , rectroescavadoras , irrigation engines , etc. .

Shims of all measures and types , steel , copper, aluminum , cardboard , fiber , Teflon , rubber and other materials !

Gaskets for older cars ( classics ) engines , rigorously equal to the origin or change the technical features to best meet the current requirements of the old engine !

Still manufactures any piece ( gasket , washer , shim ) or as measured by the (old or used) model presented .

Poligno Indústrial Alto do Ameal - Pav. G5
Ameal
2565-641 Ramalhal
waynosworld

Re: This is The Bomb ... with Turbo!

Post by waynosworld »

This thread is why I have a couple turbocharged SD25 engines, I bought Larrynsr's engine from him but could not drive it as the EGTs were way too high(1400 degrees just trying to enter the freeway), I installed the engine in my 720 and it sat for a very long time in my driveway after the inter-cooler didn't help, I finally tried using another injection pump but that didn't work so I put the inline injection pump back in and made it a draw thru setup, I got that up and running with no EGT issues, but I did have a vacuum issue that I half fixed, but ran into a wall at around 2400rpms, it just didn't want to go above that rpm unless I floored it and it took forever to get up any speed, 70mph was about it, it turned out it was running lean(not enough fuel), I took the smoke screw out and that didn't help.
What I did was talk to the guy that made this thread as he was selling his engine on craigslist, he said something about his being a blow thru and putting a line with a valve from the intake system to the vent line fitting on the injection pump and control how much boost the vent side of the diaphragm sees to help make the mixture leaner , this got me thinking that maybe I could put a little boost into the vacuum control line and make mixture richer, it worked great, I likely got close to a 100mph on one test drive.
This got me thinking and I decided to try what he was talking about on the vent line without a valve on my 521 diesel, so I turbocharged that one, I piped it normally but routed the vent line to the intake system, when it had boost the back of the diaphragm also sees the same amount of boost, therefore the diaphragm spring works normally again, it drove great/awesome, just as a test I drove it with the vent line vented to the atmosphere, it surged badly, I only got a couple blocks, turned around and put it back the way I had it, I worked out all the bugs and then took a 230 mile round trip and it was the best it had ever been drive-ability wise, since then I have had other issues and found even more power, what I did was put a "T" in the vent line that sees boost, I put a valve on the end of that line, the farther I open the valve the more power I have, but there is a point where the valve is too far open and the engines starts to surge/build uncontrolled boost where I have to let off and push the pedal back down, this is the feathering mentioned, the valve controls the leak, and that is what it is, a leak, it will not work if a valve is just inserted in that line, it has to be a controlled leak.
I pulled the valve off the line one time on the freeway, the truck surged forward noticeably, there was more power there.
I have since repeated this on my 720 that I had piped as a draw thru to get the EGTs down(larrynsr's engine), it drives great also now, I have not yet introduced the controlled leak in that vent line, it's not a daily driver and I do not care, it has plenty of power without the leak and the EGTs stay below a 1000 degrees except on long upgrades, but this inline injection pump has been turned up(messed with), this truck has a shitload of torque while the 521 with a stock inline injection pump feels about the same as it was before the turbocharger until I get into 2nd/3rd gear, then it takes off.
There is plenty of power without that controlled leak in the vent line piped to a boost source, I mentioned it because there is more power, I have also seen over 20psi boost in both rigs, but after I seen that I adjusted the boost control valves to limit the boost to 12/13psi, although if I am really into the pedal while going thru the gears I have seen 15psi briefly, normally on the freeway on level ground I see 4-6psi going 70mph in 5th gear, my EGTs are 600 degrees but rise to 900 degrees in the 521 on long upgrades, and as mentioned I have seen 1400 degrees briefly in the 720 on a long upgrade, but the 720s pump is turned up and it is a much larger/heavier truck.
I will never drive any of my diesel trucks without a turbocharger again, I get better mileage and they go up the hills now without having to down shift or floor them like I had to before, fact is they run cooler EGTs with the turbocharger than they did without the turbocharger, I was always floored or almost floored and I put an EGT gauge in my 521 before the turbocharger and was amazed how hot the EGTs were, to this day I can't believe I did not smoke that engine, I was floored all the way up the grapevine hill driving on I5 just before Los Angeles south bound, that engine was almost boiling over by the time I got to the top, I can only guess how high the EGTs were, the engine had no power when I got to the top of that hill, but after it cooled down going down the other side of that hill it returned to normal power, I was so lucky that night.
I always dreamed of having a turbodiesel after reading this thread, now I have 2 of them.
I know the voices are not real,
but they have some really good ideas.